Recommend: Java based CMS

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Jun 15, 2008.

  1. I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    navigation, header/footer around basic HTML, in the style
    of the CMS used at dev.java.net*.

    Resources Available
    - Java based server. Servlets or (uggh..) JSP available.
    - MySQL database.

    Looking over this list of possibilites at SourceForge
    <http://java-source.net/open-source/content-managment-systems>
    32 listed.. Huhh.. Some are ruled out immediately from
    the short description, but I was wondering if anybody
    around here had enough experience with the remaining ones
    to suggest a good** CMS?

    Of course, if it is not on the SF list, but is worth
    mentioning, please speak up.

    ** Requirements
    - Manages HTML content and possibly images***.
    - Standardised, interoperable.
    - Easy editing of 'themes' (are they actually talking
    about CSS there?) and/or 'templates' - I would prefer
    storing templates as either XML or HTML(ish).
    - Good documentation and userbase/communities (for more help).
    - Open source + free for use on non-commercial site.
    - Would be nice if included (or had easy extensibility -
    'plug-in') for
    -- *** bulk image storage (though that may require
    a second DB?).
    -- site search (especially JavaHelp based).

    * This page..
    <https://screensavers.dev.java.net/config/>
    Is valid HTML 4.01 here, and becomes this valid..
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https:/
    %2Fscreensavers.dev.java.net%2Fconfig%2F&charset=%28detect
    +automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>
    ...oh well, it was valid when the CMS declared the HTML as 4.01..
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https:/
    %2Fscreensavers.dev.java.net%2Fconfig%2F&charset=%28detect
    +automatically%29&doctype=HTML+4.01+Strict&group=0>
    172 errors reduced to 5, mostly due to the XHTML 1.0
    mixed into it. (sigh)

    --
    Andrew T.
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 15, 2008

  2. On Jun 15, 5:10 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    > with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    > navigation, header/footer around basic HTML, in the style
    > of the CMS used at dev.java.net*.
    >
    > Resources Available
    > - Java based server.  Servlets or (uggh..) JSP available.
    > - MySQL database.
    >
    > Looking over this list of possibilites at SourceForge

    ahem.. java-source.net (polite cough)

    > <http://java-source.net/open-source/content-managment-systems>

    ..

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 15, 2008

  3. Andrew Thompson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:10:20 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Thompson
    who said :

    >I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    >with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    >navigation

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cms.html

    You might also want to consider using the scheme I do, static macros.

    The advantage for you is you require no server-side support. You can
    host on any vanilla HTML server.

    Economics pushed me in this direction, and I saw you were needing a
    free hosting for your site too.

    I have not published my html macro scheme, but if you wanted it, it
    would be the impetus to get some docs in order and you would provide
    the list of question for the FAQ.

    The idea is very simple you embed macros in HTML. They pass the
    parameters to a dynamically loaded Java class that expands them to
    text by hook or by crook. Some go looking out on my disk. Some look up
    a database of quotation ... They have the full power of standard Java
    at their disposal.

    Mostly they look like StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder (1000);
    sb.append( xxx );

    The do validation, clever defaults, random selections...

    The generated page is compacted to remove excess white space.

    Then it is compared with the old version. If it has not changed,
    nothing happens. Otherwise the new version is saved to disk.
    This saves nugatory uploads.

    The advantages are:

    1. I can change the look of the entire site by changing a macro or
    style sheet.

    2. Once the macro is debugged, no matter how intricate the HTMl, the
    result is always perfect. If I screw it up, I just regenerate it.

    3. no overhead on the server generating pages on fly.

    4. I think Google prefers it this way. There is nothing to confuse it.
    All documents are spiderable and real. My site map map does not claim
    every document was born today.

    5. You can write simple macros by writing the HTML generated out by
    hand, running it through Quoter to turn it into Java string literals,
    then replacing the variable bits.

    The parsing engine part is very simple and quick (just a few
    indexofs). All the work is in writing the macros. I have written
    about 100 of them. They are real world you can cannibalise or modify.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jun 15, 2008
  4. On Jun 15, 7:52 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:10:20 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Thompson
    > who said :
    >
    > >I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    > >with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    > >navigation

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cms.html
    >
    > You might also want to consider using the scheme I do, static macros.

    That is similar to what I am doing now, but
    probably simpler - with Ant build scripts.

    There are entire sites I would keep as pure
    static HTML (mostly for use off CD and such),
    but I want to consider the CMS alternative
    for this one site.

    Nice page on CMS by the way, it pretty much
    summarises the things I would also like to
    see (ideally) in the CMS. Opportunity for
    breadcrumbs/trails, search and the like..

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 15, 2008
  5. Andrew Thompson

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    > with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    > navigation, header/footer around basic HTML, in the style
    > of the CMS used at dev.java.net*.
    >
    > Resources Available
    > - Java based server. Servlets or (uggh..) JSP available.
    > - MySQL database.
    >
    > Looking over this list of possibilites at SourceForge
    > <http://java-source.net/open-source/content-managment-systems>
    > 32 listed.. Huhh.. Some are ruled out immediately from
    > the short description, but I was wondering if anybody
    > around here had enough experience with the remaining ones
    > to suggest a good** CMS?

    If you want a CMS then go for OpenCMS. It is fine.

    Alfresco and Jahia have more features, but they are
    probably to heavyweight for what you need.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 15, 2008
  6. On Jun 16, 2:31 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > ..Java based CMS ...

    > If you want a CMS then go for OpenCMS. It is fine.
    >
    > Alfresco and Jahia have more features, but they are
    > probably to heavyweight for what you need.

    Thanks - I will have a closer look at those three.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 25, 2008
  7. Andrew Thompson, 15.06.2008 09:10:
    > I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    > with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    > navigation, header/footer around basic HTML, in the style
    > of the CMS used at dev.java.net*.
    >
    > Resources Available
    > - Java based server. Servlets or (uggh..) JSP available.
    > - MySQL database.

    Have a look at OpenEdit

    It's very lightweigth doesn't even need a database, and has very sophisticated features.

    Actually it's a bit more than "just" a CMS as it is also used to power the website.

    Regards
    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Jun 25, 2008
  8. On Jun 25, 6:07 pm, Thomas Kellerer <>
    wrote:

    > > ...Java based CMS...

    > Have a look at OpenEdit

    Thanks. I'll add that to the list.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 25, 2008
  9. Andrew Thompson

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > ** Requirements
    > - Manages HTML content and possibly images***.
    > - Standardised, interoperable.
    > - Easy editing of 'themes' (are they actually talking
    > about CSS there?) and/or 'templates' - I would prefer
    > storing templates as either XML or HTML(ish).
    > - Good documentation and userbase/communities (for more help).
    > - Open source + free for use on non-commercial site.
    > - Would be nice if included (or had easy extensibility -
    > 'plug-in') for
    > -- *** bulk image storage (though that may require
    > a second DB?).
    > -- site search (especially JavaHelp based).

    Funny thing is, my job right now is to create a full-featured CMS for
    the company I work for :), unfortunately its proprietary, and has so
    many "business rules" built in as to likely be useless for the average
    Joe. Very heavyweight :)

    Still, a very "fun" project. You learn a lot about pushing bits around
    when you have lots of bits to push all over.

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 25, 2008
  10. On Jun 15, 7:52=A0pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:10:20 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Thompson
    > who said :
    >
    > >I now have access to a Java enabled server and am toying
    > >with the idea of installing a Java based CMS to wrap common
    > >navigation

    > See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cms.html
    >
    > You might also want to consider using the scheme I do, static macros.

    That is grandiose to what I am doing nowadays, but
    artificially simpler - with Ant build scripts.

    There are biblical splatterfilms I would keep as unsystematic
    tidy HTML (unselfishly for praise off item and such),
    but I want to spout the CMS alternative
    for this one tofu.

    Miller page on CMS by the way, it marvelous much
    summarises the items I would also like to
    see (ideally) in the CMS. Opportunity for
    breadcrumbs/trails, search and the like..

    --
    Wally McWharton
    http://pscode.org/

    [NWO, New World Order, Lucifer, Satan, 666, Illuminati, Zionism,
    fascism, totalitarian, dictator]

    "The governments of the present day have to deal not merely with
    other governments, with emperors, kings and ministers, but also
    with secret societies which have everywhere their unscrupulous
    agents, and can at the last moment upset all the governments'
    plans."

    -- Benjamin Disraeli
    September 10, 1876, in Aylesbury

    This is just a reminder.
    It is not an emergency yet.
    Were it actual emergency, you wouldn't be able to read this.
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 29, 2008