Recommendation for a ASP.NET

sl

Greetings,

I am looking a recommendation for a very specific book. I have been
developing applications/system for over 15 years starting with C++ and
migrating to C#. I am very familiar and comfortable with WinForms, Windows
Services and Web Services. I understand of Web Applications and WebForms
work. I understand sessions, state, error handing, ADO.NET, etc. The skill
that I want to learn is HTML. I can create simple Web Applications but they
are back text and white background. Functional but damn dull. The skills I
am missing are HTML, JScript and, most importantly, how to work with
JScript, DHTML, ASP.NET, CSS all within VS2003/VS2005. I am not a graphic
artist nor do I want to be but I want to be able to create better looking
applications totally from within VS2003/VS2005. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Verde

Don't get distracted by the title too much - it's an absolutely fantastic
book for learning HTML, CSS, and Client-side Web UI development:
Inside Dreamweaver MX - by Laura Gutman, Patricia J. Ayers and Donald S.
Booth

Also, if you're working with VS.NET 2003, you'll almost certainly want to
use another tool (even Notepad) for your HTML-specific work as there are
some well-known issues with VS.NET 2003 rewriting your HTML for you in
rather unpleasant ways. VS.NET 2005 apparently resolves those issues,
though.

-HTH

sl

Thank you for your reply,
Steve

Verde said:
Don't get distracted by the title too much - it's an absolutely fantastic
book for learning HTML, CSS, and Client-side Web UI development:
Inside Dreamweaver MX - by Laura Gutman, Patricia J. Ayers and Donald S.
Booth

Also, if you're working with VS.NET 2003, you'll almost certainly want to
use another tool (even Notepad) for your HTML-specific work as there are
some well-known issues with VS.NET 2003 rewriting your HTML for you in
rather unpleasant ways. VS.NET 2005 apparently resolves those issues,
though.

-HTH

steve

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of w3. I was hoping for a vs2003 ventric
resource.

Thanks,
Steve

Kevin Spencer

You DID say you wanted to learn HTML. HTML is not a Microsoft product. The
W3C makes the recommendations for HTML. Hence, the W3C.Org web site.

It should be noted that while Visual Studio does offer some small (and
flaky) support for HTML, you will never learn HTML from Visual Studio.

Of course, the Microsoft web site has an HTML reference also, but it should
be noted that a lot of IE-only HTML is specified there. Of course, it is
noted in the documentation which HTML elements and behaviors are proprietary
to IE. My point was, if you want your stuff to work in all browsers, you
should go to the horse's mouth for the info.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP