Recommendation for "best" open source JVM

Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Dear all,
we are developing a new Linux based runtime system for protable
devices like the Sharp Zaurus and want to augment this with a Java
system.
For that purpose we need to select an open source Java virtual machine
+ runtime libraries. So what is your experience and recommendation?

It should be
* small
* fast (on a 200-400MHz ARM processor)
* stable
* open source
* compatible

We know that there are several projects out there at sourceforge.

Many thanks for any recommendation,
hns

Jesper Nordenberg

Dear all,
we are developing a new Linux based runtime system for protable
devices like the Sharp Zaurus and want to augment this with a Java
system.
For that purpose we need to select an open source Java virtual machine
+ runtime libraries. So what is your experience and recommendation?

It should be
* small
* fast (on a 200-400MHz ARM processor)
* stable
* open source
* compatible

We know that there are several projects out there at sourceforge.

Don't know which one is "best", but two of the most active projects are:

SableVM, http://www.sablevm.org
Kaffe, http://www.kaffe.org

They both use GNU Classpath as Java runtime library.

/Jesper Nordenberg

Raghar

(e-mail address removed) (Dr. Nikolaus Schaller) wrote in
Dear all,
we are developing a new Linux based runtime system for protable
devices like the Sharp Zaurus and want to augment this with a Java
system.
For that purpose we need to select an open source Java virtual machine
+ runtime libraries. So what is your experience and recommendation?

It should be
* small
* fast (on a 200-400MHz ARM processor)
* stable
* open source
* compatible

We know that there are several projects out there at sourceforge.

Many thanks for any recommendation,
hns

Do you have an ability to write compiler for ARM processor?

Dr. Nikolaus Schaller

Do you have an ability to write compiler for ARM processor?

At least there is gcc to compile the JVM interpreters - but I assume
you mean some dynamic compiler translating JAVA bytecode to machine
language while executing.

Thanks for this hint as I have not yet looked into such an idea.

-- hns

Robert Lougher

Don't know which one is "best", but two of the most active projects are:

SableVM, http://www.sablevm.org
Kaffe, http://www.kaffe.org

They both use GNU Classpath as Java runtime library.

/Jesper Nordenberg

Neither of these are particularly small. Have a look at JamVM
http://jamvm.sourceforge.net. Admittedly I'm the author, but one of
the design goals was compact size (approx 80K stripped on ARM). It
uses Classpath, and is quite popular. It's already used on a number
of embedded systems.

Rob.