Recommendation for GUI/OpenGL (or similar 3D functionality) environment

Discussion in 'Python' started by jc, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    I am pretty new to Python but am thrilled with its elegant syntax,
    style, efficiency...

    I want to use Python for database query device that can also display
    3D objects (up to several thousand, small primitives (more like
    specks)but with some alpha channel control)
    on a 3D Cartesian volume. I guess in simple terms a 3D window embedded
    in a DB query device.

    I have looked at Boa Constructor, PyhtonCard, Tkinter, a bunch of others
    and the choices can get pretty bewildering!

    Could I get some recommendations on a GUI environment that can do what I
    stated above but is the 'easiest'.

    I'm willing to spend some time learning but would prefer to stick to the
    one 'best' decision.

    Other important points would be how robust the system is, how good is
    the documentation, is it maintained regularly, etc.
    I am on WinXP.
    jc, Jul 18, 2004

  2. jc

    F. GEIGER Guest

    I did some 3D things on Win2k and WinXP. I used wxPython and PyOpenGL.

    I tend to advise to forget alle the tools helping you build a GUI. That's
    the best way to remain in full control over what happens in your app. YMMV.

    What you really *should* use is an IDE like Wingware (IDLE, Kommodo etc.).

    Again for the GUI lib: When I encounter a new lib, I first see what features
    it offers that my current platform (wxPython for now) does not and if I
    really could have a need for them in future. Then I look at the sample code
    to see how it achieves all that. This gives me a good first impression. On
    this I decide whether I go on investigating it or not.

    Doing so may help you too. Again: YMMV.

    HTH
    Franz GEIGER

    F. GEIGER, Jul 18, 2004