recommendation for learning Java animation/applets programing

Discussion in 'Java' started by steveh44, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. steveh44

    steveh44 Guest

    I am an experienced programmer, but have not used Java too much (about
    one year) but
    this was sometime ago.

    I am interested in learning Java programming more for doing scientific
    and physics
    simulation and animation by writing applets.

    I see many resources on the net, but I think if I can have one good
    book to study from,
    it might be better.

    What do folks here recommend? Get a good book? which one do you
    recommend?

    Any other advice is welcome.

    Thank you,
    Steve
    steveh44, Apr 18, 2011

  2. In article
    <>,
    steveh44 <> wrote:

    > I am an experienced programmer, but have not used Java too much
    > (about one year) but this was sometime ago.
    >
    > I am interested in learning Java programming more for doing
    > scientific and physics simulation and animation by writing applets.
    >
    > I see many resources on the net, but I think if I can have one good
    > book to study from, it might be better.
    >
    > What do folks here recommend? Get a good book? which one do you
    > recommend?
    >
    > Any other advice is welcome.

    Your question is intriguing, but it assumes the existence of a sort of
    magic bullet [1]. I haven't found one. Instead study texts apropos to
    programing in general or the problem domain in particular. Among top
    choices for the former, I would include Bloch [2], Peierls, et al. [3]
    and a book on patterns [4]. As an example of the latter, a kinematic
    problem typically lends itself to a vector description; and the approach
    shown here [6] is a convenient model.

    There's no substitute for doing. Example abound. Choose a model that
    interests you and try to refine it. Publish your results. Ask for and
    accept criticism. Help others with similar problems. Repeat.

    [1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_bullet>
    [2]<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/>
    [3]<http://www.javaconcurrencyinpractice.com/>
    [4]<http://www.artima.com/designtechniques/booklist.html>
    [5]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinematics>
    [6]<https://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews/kineticmodel>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, Apr 19, 2011

  3. steveh44

    markspace Guest

    On 4/17/2011 9:15 PM, steveh44 wrote:

    > What do folks here recommend? Get a good book? which one do you
    > recommend?
    >
    > Any other advice is welcome.

    Learn to program in Java, first. I'd recommend the Java tutorials,
    Learning Java by O'Reilly, and the Java Passion website.

    http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565927186
    http://www.javapassion.com/portal/

    The O'Reilly book in particular contains a lot more information than
    just the basics. It has a lot of practical advice for Swing (Java's GUI
    API) that I think you'd find useful for applets.

    As for applets themselves or animation, no. Desktop is not Oracles
    focus, and the development environment is kind of wonky. If you're not
    an experienced programmer, you might have a bit of a rough time. Things
    that work fine on your desktop aren't going to work at all when deployed
    as an applet.

    Take your time, and deploy several "test" applets to different
    environments (OS, browser). Be prepared for "learning" (i.e., stuff not
    working). A lot of folks who aren't programmers aren't prepared for
    this kind of "build your test harness first" approach to applets, but
    you're going to get bit if you expect it all just to work like magic.
    There's no magic, and a lot of compromises might be needed to get a
    robust process.
    markspace, Apr 19, 2011