Recommendations about xmltramp

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jonas Hei, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Jonas Hei

    Jonas Hei Guest

    Jonas Hei, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Jonas Hei wrote:

    > Can anyone elaborate/explain about scenarios in which xmltramp can
    > corrupt data?

    xmltramp is a XML data reading framework. It cannot corrupt data.
    It may parse it incorrectly though.

    Istvan.
    Istvan Albert, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Jonas Hei

    Jonas Hei Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:39:36 -0400, Istvan Albert <>
    wrote:

    > xmltramp is a XML data reading framework. It cannot corrupt data.
    > It may parse it incorrectly though.
    >
    > Istvan.

    It appears to be a little bit more than that.
    Check out 'Mutations and re-serialization' section at
    http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2003/12/17/py-xml.html
    Jonas Hei, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Jonas Hei

    Nelson Minar Guest

    "Jonas Hei" <> writes:
    > I'd like to get experts' opinion about
    > xmltramp (http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/xmltramp/).

    I don't know about expert, but I've used xmltramp for quick hacks on a
    bunch of projects and I love it. It's the simplest API I've ever used
    for accessing XML. It builds trees in memory so it's not going to work
    for 100 megabyte documents. And it's fast and loose enough that I
    might be nervous about using it for very meticulous work, although I
    have no specific evidence of it failing. Overall it's really nice.

    Here's a sample:

    rssFeed = urllib.urlopen("http://.../index.rss")
    rss = xmltramp.parse(rssFeed.read())

    print rss.channel.title
    for i in rss.channel:
    if i._name == 'item':
    print i.title

    More here:
    http://www.nelson.monkey.org/~nelson/weblog/tech/good/xmltramp.html
    Nelson Minar, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Jonas Hei

    djw Guest

    Jonas Hei wrote:
    > I'd like to get experts' opinion about
    > xmltramp (http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/xmltramp/).
    >
    > I am still in early stages of exploration - I need to
    > determine to process XML in my next project.
    > Currently I like ElementTree (@ effbot.org) and xmltramp.
    > But I am bit concerned about Mark Pilgrim's comments about
    > xmltree(http://diveintomark.org/archives/blinks/2003/12/#b20031218035253)
    >
    > Can anyone elaborate/explain about scenarios in which xmltramp can
    > corrupt data?
    > Or was it all just a joke...

    The PyRXP parser (http://www.reportlab.org/pyrxp.html) lets you access
    XML in a way similar to xmltree using the TagWrapper class in
    xmlutils.xml. I've used it and it has worked very well (its also very fast).

    -Don
    djw, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Jonas Hei wrote:

    > It appears to be a little bit more than that.
    > Check out 'Mutations and re-serialization' section at
    > http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2003/12/17/py-xml.html

    Oh, I see, this feature was not evident from the
    xmltramp page.

    But reading the information above it appears that
    it is a very ad-hoc and hackish solution that might
    have been the reason for the negative comment that
    the original poster was inquiring about.

    Istvan.
    Istvan Albert, Sep 18, 2004