    was no particular informed reason for me to choose psycopg. Am I missing
    anything?

    ~ Anthony

    Keen Anthony, Apr 29, 2006

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Keen Anthony

    Tim Churches Guest

    Gerhard Häring wrote:
    > Keen Anthony wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am currently using psycopg 2 as my db adapter for a mod_python &
    >>> PostgreSQL web app. It's works fine, and I haven't any complaints. I
    >>> would appreciate some input on what other pythonistas like in an
    >>> adapter. There were several different options available to me, but there
    >>> was no particular informed reason for me to choose psycopg. Am I missing
    >>> anything?

    > Considering pyPgSQL, psycopg1, PyGreSQL and psycopg2 - psycopg2 is a good
    > choice.

    Hmmm, Gerhard, you are listed as one of two developers for pyPgSQL on
    SourceForge ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/pypgsql/ ). The fact that
    you are recommending a different DB adaptor project suggests a degree of
    disengagement with pyPgSQL. Is Billy G. Allie still interested in
    pyPgSQL, or is it now completely unloved? If so, then perhaps some new
    maintainers can be found for it - several projects rely on pyPgSQL,
    including ours ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/netepi/ ) - for which
    we currently need to provide our own pyPgSQL tarball rolled from CVS
    plus some of our own minor but important patches - which were submitted
    for consideration but have not (AFAIK) been checked into the pyPgSQL
    CVS. The latest tarball for pyPgSQl available from the pyPgSQL
    SourceForge pages is dated 2003.

    No criticism is intended in any of the foregoing observations - it is
    inevitable that people move on to new projects (such as pySQLite), but
    it would be a shame if pyPgSQL just rotted, because it has several
    things in its favour, such as some unit tests (which were conspicuously
    absent from any of the alternatives when we evaluated them in 2003 -
    perhaps they have been added by now). Overall we have found pyPgSQL to
    be very reliable.

    Tim C

    Tim Churches, Apr 29, 2006

    Tim Churches wrote:
    > Gerhard Häring wrote:
    >>[...] Considering pyPgSQL, psycopg1, PyGreSQL and psycopg2 - psycopg2 is a good
    >>choice.

    > Hmmm, Gerhard, you are listed as one of two developers for pyPgSQL on
    > SourceForge ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/pypgsql/ ). The fact that
    > you are recommending a different DB adaptor project suggests a degree of
    > disengagement with pyPgSQL.

    It's not that I'd now say that pyPgSQL is bad software, but as you say it
    didn't see a lot of maintenance the last two years, and AFAIK this won't
    change anytime soon.

    With the last release, it was pretty much feature complete, and Billy G.
    Allie and me were talking about a rewrite of many parts in C for increased
    performance, and for taking advantage of the new PostgreSQL API. I told him
    that I was unfortunately too busy with other things to contribute
    significantly to pyPgSQL. I see myself more as a helper for pyPgSQL nowadays.

    > Is Billy G. Allie still interested in pyPgSQL, or is it now completely
    > unloved?

    AFAIK he is still interested and committing fixes to the current codebase
    now and then and working on the rewrite.

    I don't know, however, if there's a plan for the long overdue maintenance
    release to the last release from 2003.

    > If so, then perhaps some new maintainers can be found for it [...]

    I'll just cc Billy so he can comment :)

    > - several projects rely on pyPgSQL,
    > including ours ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/netepi/ ) - for which
    > we currently need to provide our own pyPgSQL tarball rolled from CVS
    > plus some of our own minor but important patches - which were submitted
    > for consideration but have not (AFAIK) been checked into the pyPgSQL
    > CVS. The latest tarball for pyPgSQl available from the pyPgSQL
    > SourceForge pages is dated 2003.
    >
    > No criticism is intended in any of the foregoing observations - it is
    > inevitable that people move on to new projects (such as pySQLite), but
    > it would be a shame if pyPgSQL just rotted, because it has several
    > things in its favour, such as some unit tests (which were conspicuously
    > absent from any of the alternatives when we evaluated them in 2003 -
    > perhaps they have been added by now). Overall we have found pyPgSQL to
    > be very reliable.

    - -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Apr 29, 2006