    Can anyone point me to references (preferably downloadable and
    searchable for when I'm off the grid) that will help check element
    hierarchical relationships?

    William Gill, Dec 14, 2011

  2. 2011-12-14 20:46, William Gill wrote:

    > I frequently use http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/ as a quick
    > reference for HTML 4.01. Particularly the "contains" and "contained in"
    > information for each element. It is so much easier than trying to look
    > things up in the DTD.
    >
    > Since HTML5 is no longer based on SGML there is no DTD.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to references (preferably downloadable and
    > searchable for when I'm off the grid) that will help check element
    > hierarchical relationships?

    I guess
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/
    comes closest. It's not as explicit ("contains" is often explained with
    links rather than listing down the elements), but pretty readable.

    Beware that it reflects the W3C HTML5 draft, rather than the "living
    HTML standard" by WHATWG.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 14, 2011

  3. William Gill

    William Gill Guest

    On 12/14/2011 2:02 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 2011-12-14 20:46, William Gill wrote:
    >
    >> I frequently use http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/ as a quick
    >> reference for HTML 4.01. Particularly the "contains" and "contained in"
    >> information for each element. It is so much easier than trying to look
    >> things up in the DTD.
    >>
    >> Since HTML5 is no longer based on SGML there is no DTD.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me to references (preferably downloadable and
    >> searchable for when I'm off the grid) that will help check element
    >> hierarchical relationships?

    > I guess
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/
    > comes closest. It's not as explicit ("contains" is often explained with
    > links rather than listing down the elements), but pretty readable.
    >
    > Beware that it reflects the W3C HTML5 draft, rather than the "living
    > HTML standard" by WHATWG.

    This a lot more practical for my purposes than
    http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/

    Thanks Yucca.

    William Gill, Dec 15, 2011
  4. William Gill

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 12/14/2011 1:46 PM, William Gill wrote:
    > I frequently use http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/ as a quick
    > reference for HTML 4.01. Particularly the "contains" and "contained in"
    > information for each element. It is so much easier than trying to look
    > things up in the DTD.
    >
    > Since HTML5 is no longer based on SGML there is no DTD.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to references (preferably downloadable and
    > searchable for when I'm off the grid) that will help check element
    > hierarchical relationships?

    Perhaps this is what you seek:

    <http://developers.whatwg.org/>

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Dec 21, 2011
  5. William Gill

    idle Guest

    http://smashinghub.com/25-useful-html5-cheat-sheets-and-tutorials-for-web-developer.htm
    http://www.designzzz.com/developers-html5-cheat-sheets-free-ebooks/

    --
    idle
    Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you

    idle, Dec 22, 2011