    I don't need the most high-performance system. We have 8 users at the
    most that will be logging in simultaneously.

    All recommendations are welcome.
    Matthew Wilson, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Matthew Wilson

    Jay O'Connor Guest

    Matthew Wilson wrote:

    >I am about to start designing a web application for my office intranet.
    >It is pretty simple: we need a way to track conversations with contacts
    >and a way to update contact information.
    >
    >I could do it all in PHP or perl-mason, but I really like python's
    >syntax and I have the time to learn something new. I've never used any
    >of the web stuff for python. I need something that is easy and quick to
    >learn. I need support for connection to MySQL, simple user
    >authentication based on passwords, and either a templating system, or
    >the ability to embed python code in html, like PHP. I already have
    >Apache installed and running on a Red Hat linux box.
    >
    >I don't need the most high-performance system. We have 8 users at the
    >most that will be logging in simultaneously.
    >
    >All recommendations are welcome.

    If you want something simple and focused, I have both some simple
    username/password and templating libraries I use for python web work.
    Contact me offline if you're interested

    Take care,
    Jay
    Jay O'Connor, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Matthew Wilson fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 18 November
    2003 07:53 am:

    > I am about to start designing a web application for my office
    > intranet. It is pretty simple: we need a way to track conversations
    > with contacts and a way to update contact information.

    <snip>

    > learn. I need support for connection to MySQL, simple user
    > authentication based on passwords, and either a templating system, or
    > the ability to embed python code in html, like PHP. I already have
    > Apache installed and running on a Red Hat linux box.
    >
    > I don't need the most high-performance system. We have 8 users at the
    > most that will be logging in simultaneously.
    >
    > All recommendations are welcome.

    I'm not an expert, but have you looked at Zope?

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 18, 2003
  4. In article <>, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > I'm not an expert, but have you looked at Zope?

    I looked a little at Zope, and it looks like it has a huge learning
    curve. Is that true? How long would it take for a person that's
    written lots of CGI scripts to get up to speed on Zope?

    Maybe I *should* take a look at Zope.
    Matthew Wilson, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Dennis> Matthew Wilson fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 18
    Dennis> November 2003 07:53 am:

    >> I am about to start designing a web application for my office
    >> intranet. It is pretty simple: we need a way to track conversations
    >> with contacts and a way to update contact information.

    Dennis> I'm not an expert, but have you looked at Zope?

    I am not an expert, but Zope is often overkill, especially if your
    requirements don't match Zope's assumptions.

    I recently discovered Quixote from MEMS Exchange (well, I've known about it
    for awhile, but only recently began experimenting with it) and have become
    quite enamored with it. It looks like if your environment meets these basic
    criteria:

    * unix-y platform

    * your website developers are already Python programmers

    * you don't need to support remote site editing by potentially hostile
    folks (like your marketing and engineering departments)

    then you might want to take a close look at Quixote. It's programming model
    is somewhat different than that for most other web app/publishing systems.
    You essentially program in Python for most tasks and sprinkle in some HTML
    instead of the other way around. It's also got a very small footprint. The
    full source tree is under 700k, so it's quite possible that if you need to
    consult the source you'll actually be able to find the relevant source to
    gaze at.

    Details can be found here:

    http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Matthew> I looked a little at Zope, and it looks like it has a huge
    Matthew> learning curve. Is that true?

    For most people, yes.

    Matthew> How long would it take for a person that's written lots of CGI
    Matthew> scripts to get up to speed on Zope?

    Awhile.

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Nov 18, 2003
    Kirk Strauser, Nov 18, 2003
  8. Skip Montanaro <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dennis> Matthew Wilson fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 18
    > Dennis> November 2003 07:53 am:
    >
    > >> I am about to start designing a web application for my office
    > >> intranet. It is pretty simple: we need a way to track conversations
    > >> with contacts and a way to update contact information.

    > Dennis> I'm not an expert, but have you looked at Zope?
    >
    > I am not an expert, but Zope is often overkill, especially if your
    > requirements don't match Zope's assumptions.
    >
    > I recently discovered Quixote from MEMS Exchange (well, I've known about it
    > for awhile, but only recently began experimenting with it) and have become
    > quite enamored with it. It looks like if your environment meets these basic
    > criteria:
    >
    > * unix-y platform
    >
    > * your website developers are already Python programmers
    >
    > * you don't need to support remote site editing by potentially hostile
    > folks (like your marketing and engineering departments)

    I would second Skip's recommendation of Quixote -- it's an excellent
    framework. I just wanted to add that a Unix-like platform isn't a
    requirement; Quixote works very well on the Win32 platform.

    Best of luck,

    -- Graham
    Graham Fawcett, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Matthew Wilson

    S Kemplay Guest

    Hi Mathew,

    I would suggest you look at cherrypy - cherrypy.org.

    Very (very) easy to get up and running with. It includes a powerful but simple
    to use templating language to allow the seperation of code and presentation.
    And comes complete with very clear and complete documentation. Also connects
    to many databases including MySQL.

    Cheers
    Sean

    S Kemplay, Nov 19, 2003