Recommended FastCGI module?

John Nagle

What's the recommended FastCGI module for Python. There are at least five:

The Robin Dunn / Total Control Software version:
http://alldunn.com/python/fcgi.py
Last revised in 1998.

The "JonPy" version:
http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/fcgi.html
Last revised in 2004.

The Alan Saddi version:
http://svn.saddi.com/py-lib/trunk/fcgi.py
Last revision date unknown.

The Cheese Shop version: python-fastcgi 1.1
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/python-fastcgi
Requires Open Market C system.
Last revised in 2005 for Python 2.3.

The Peter Astrand version:
http://cvs.lysator.liu.se/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/webkom/thfcgi.py?cvsroot=webkom
Last revised in 2004 for Python 2.3.

John Nagle

John Nagle

Jon said:
I'd recommend my one, but it's just possible I'm not impartial ;-)

Does it work with current Pythons? (2.4, 2.5)? I'm mainly
concerned about the abandonware problem with some of them.

John Nagle

Robin Becker

John said:
What's the recommended FastCGI module for Python. There are at least five:

The Robin Dunn / Total Control Software version:
http://alldunn.com/python/fcgi.py
Last revised in 1998.

we are using a slightly modified and modernized version of the above in a front
facing app for a large company with reasonable results. Our decision was
prompted by a consultant who wanted more speed, but it turned out the original
traffic assumptions were wrong so the small advantage over CGI isn't actually
needed. At the back end we're using apache+mod_fastcgi and choosing the
configuration parameters was the main difficulty.

Using fcgi did induce some fairly careful code consideration to ensure we could
rerun without blowing up the universe.

Jon Ribbens

Does it work with current Pythons? (2.4, 2.5)? I'm mainly
concerned about the abandonware problem with some of them.

Yes, I use it myself in my day job, where we have recently upgraded
to Python 2.5. jonpy itself hasn't been revised for a while because
there have been no revisions I felt necessary. There may be a new
version released in the next couple of months, but there won't be
any major changes.