recommended method/language .. a horrid question

Jeff Kish

Greetings.

I am just getting into java/frameworks/tag libraries, and I wanted to
know what folks thought the best way to do something was. Basically this is
just an attempt to figure out a good repetitive way of searching for
information that I could use and adapt to different quests for information.

I needed to find out where certain types of classes (derived from a certain
class) were used in other .java files that occurred that had special
characteristics, namely they are used by the frameworks I am using as special
handlers.

This is really an onerous task, but I thought I could write something up in
lisp or something to solve this and reuse it for related problems, so my
thoughts were:

define some "JSPset" as being all filenames hard coded as first arguments to
calls to a library routine that means something to me (util.doSomething(...)).

This gives me a set of jsp files to look at.
Then define a "HANDLERset" being all tags in the JSPset of files that fit a
special criteria meaning that they are of interest. This means the
java classes would be identified by a tag that looks like this:
<specialTag:HANDLER classname=dir.dir2.dir3.classname/>

So now I could get all the classes that are used as handlers (which interest
me).

Now define NONPERSISTANTset as set of classes that implement a special set,
say MyNonPersistantSet

Finally I would want to search all of the HANDLERset to see if any of them use
any of the classes in the NONPERSISTANTset

I though I could use lisp or something to do this, then I thought Hell, maybe
someone else has an idea about this, so I thought I would ask java programmers
what they might think. Maybe there is a java or eclipse way to do something
like this.

I am using eclipse also.

Sorry if I am not clear.. any ideas? Is this too gross or am I missing a
simple sort of thing here?

Thanks,

Jeff Kish