    Asfand Yar

    --
    http://www.it-is-truth.org/

    Asfand Yar Qazi, Apr 5, 2004

  2. In article <c4s54v$d07$>,
    Asfand Yar Qazi <im_not_giving_it_here@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:
    > To save me some time ('cos I'm lazy, and I've got my final year project
    > to hand-in in around 23 days lol) could you tell me which is the easiest
    > to use / most mature / both the above MySQL binding for Ruby?

    DBI/DBD for Ruby work fine for me.
    --
    Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/AMI -=-
    Usenet Canal Historique FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!

    Ollivier Robert, Apr 6, 2004

  3. > All those bloomin' bindings for the same packages! Everybody's got to
    > go around repeating themselves always! What's it all for!

    MySQL/Ruby[1] is a C extension for Ruby that compiles against the MySQL
    client library. This is the fastest approach, but requires compilation
    and access to libmysqlclient.so.

    Ruby/MySQL[2] is a native Ruby solution with the same API as MySQL/Ruby
    (and also written by Tomita Masahiro). So this doesn't require any
    compilation or access to libmysqlclient.so.

    DBI/DBD[3] sits on top of MySQL/Ruby and adds a bit of convenience and
    a uniform interface that'll let you switch from MySQL to any of the
    other databases supported by the package.

    In my unscientific test, I've found MySQL/Ruby to be by far the
    fastest. Ruby/MySQL and DBI/DBD are about 50% slower. But that might
    not matter too much depending on your situation.

    [1] http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/
    [2] http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/
    [3] http://ruby-dbi.sourceforge.net/
    --