Record Paging

Steven K

Hello,

I am converting an ASP page to ASP.Net. In one page, I am using record
paging. I have read that while the DataGrid control has paging, it can tax
resources. So I did a Google and found and example of using the Repeater
control (http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/091003-1.aspx). My
question is at approximately how many records does it make sense to not use
the DataGrid control, or should I always use something like the example
website that I provided? I'm just trying to get a feel for what other users
have experienced.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you have several hundred records or less then the standard datagrid
paging will likely work acceptably for most projects. (Ultra high volume
sites with extreme scalability needs are excluded from this statement.)
If you are dealing with more records than that, then you'll need to analyze
your available server power, infrastructure and performance needs to see if
the standard datagrid will still work for you or not.

news.microsoft.com

You can implement custom paging with your data grid control fairly easily.

The strategy I employ is to select the rows from the database into a table
variable that has an auto-increment integer as an extra column.

The sproc that's doing this takes in the page number and page size and then
figures out from what range of records to select from the table variable.

This approach is probably your best bet aside from adding an auto-increment
column to all tables that will be paged when returned.

RMD