Recording / Playing Audio in an Applet

Phil Staite

Quite simply, can it be done? I have a pair of Java programs that
"talk" to each other through a server. At each end they record and
playback sound via interfaces in the javax.sound.sampled package.

The gotcha is that I have the programs set up to run as either
standalone Applications or as Applets that can be DL'd off a web server.
The standalone Applications work fine. The Applets throw security
exceptions regarding javax.sound.sampled.AudioPermission ...

Any ideas?

Oliver Wong

Phil Staite said:
The gotcha is that I have the programs set up to run as either standalone
Applications or as Applets that can be DL'd off a web server. The
standalone Applications work fine. The Applets throw security exceptions
regarding javax.sound.sampled.AudioPermission ...

Any ideas?

I suspect that recording sound (e.g. from a microphone) might be
considered a security risk and is not allowed in unsigned Applets.

Have you tried signing your applet?

- Oliver

Phil Staite

Oliver said:
I suspect that recording sound (e.g. from a microphone) might be
considered a security risk and is not allowed in unsigned Applets.

Have you tried signing your applet?

I was thinking that might be the way to go. However, I don't know how
to go about "signing" an applet. Guess it's time for a little more
research... Thanks!

Roedy Green

I suspect that recording sound (e.g. from a microphone) might be
considered a security risk and is not allowed in unsigned Applets.
Most definitely. Think of the spying you could do!

What people don't realise is that signed applets and ordinary
applications could happily do things like that sneakily. Signing
grants ALL privilege.