    yet providing something very suitable for a security guard to watch
    live?

    , Mar 31, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > Is there a video module so that I can write a Linux Python script to
    > record video coming over USB video cams?

    You can open the device and read the images - I've done that before. No
    module needed. But I don't remember how things worked - just download the
    source for a simple viewer like gcqam and look at what they are doing.

    > What about these side-thoughts:
    >
    > * What about recording multiple streams over multiple USB ports? (Think
    > in the context of a security system.)

    No deal, open several devices.
    > * What about lossy compression?

    Won't be doable in python in reasonable time - but there might be modules
    available for that, or at least libs you can wrap. Make your name honor...

    > * What about recording only time slices?

    Just wait the appropriate interval

    > * How would you provide real-time video to a security guard, but then
    > only write time-sliced, lossy compression to disk, saving disk space
    > yet providing something very suitable for a security guard to watch
    > live?

    Hrm - just _do_ it? But the problems are not on the python side - how is
    your guard going to retrieve the images, which bandwidth can he use and so
    on.

    Basically it boils down to

    - do the infrastructure and application functionality in python
    - delegate the compression to some c-backend

    Network and IO performance _shouldn't_ be too much of a concern using
    python, as it uses the underlying system's calls for that. But in the end,
    use a profiler :)
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch