recordset.addNew

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    I googled a bit and didn't find good explanation about AddNew method. so I
    post here.
    What are the differences between these 2 versions:
    1.

    order_info_Open cmdTemp, , adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
    if order_info.EOF then
    order_info.AddNew
    end if
    order_info("EnrollDate").Value = Now()
    order_info("City").Value = Request("City")
    order_info("State").Value = Request("State")
    order_info("Zip").Value = Request("Zip")
    order_info("Email").Value = Request("Email")

    2.
    order_info_Open cmdTemp, , adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
    if order_info.EOF then
    order_info.AddNew
    order_info("EnrollDate").Value = Now()
    order_info("City").Value = Request("City")
    order_info("State").Value = Request("State")
    order_info("Zip").Value = Request("Zip")
    order_info("Email").Value = Request("Email")
    end if

    I am wondering whether the 1 version is culprit caused duplicated records in
    the table.
    --
    Betty
    c676228, Apr 28, 2009

  2. Hello Betty,

    As far as I known, when calling the AddNew method without arguments,it sets
    the EditMode property to adEditAdd (an EditModeEnum value). The provider
    caches any field value changes locally. Calling the Update method posts the
    new record to the database and resets the EditMode property to adEditNone
    (an EditModeEnum value). (The new record will be posted when Update method
    is called.)
    If you pass arguments, ADO immediately posts the new record to the database
    (no Update call is necessary); the EditMode property value does not change
    (adEditNone).(The new record will be posted directly when AddNew is called)

    In logical aspect, these two approaches you listed are different.
    Based on the approach one, when order_info.EOF is true, it will post a new
    record as the approach two does. But if order_info.AddNew is false, it will
    update the current record if it calls order_info.Update after these codes,
    rather than appending a new record after the recordset. So, I don't think
    it will cause duplicated records with this approach, unless it does submit
    towice. Maybe other codes cause the duplicated records because of this
    turbid code structure.

    Based on the approach two, it will do post a new record to the database
    clearly if order_info.EOF is true(if you append order_info.Update before
    "end if"). I think if you want to add a new record, you can use this
    approach.

    If you want to know more about "AddNew", please check the following
    reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677536(VS.85).aspx

    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------

    Vince Xu [MSFT], Apr 29, 2009

  3. c676228

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Vince, I'm not sure why I did not see the original post; so forgive me for
    replying to you rather than directly to Betty.

    Betty, rather than look to your application code to prevent duplicates, you
    should let your relational database do its job: create a primary key or
    unique index on the fields that must not be duplicated so an error will be
    raised when a data modification is made that would result in a duplicate.
    The difference between the two versions is that the first version will set
    the current record to the new values if the sql used in cmdTemp returns one
    or more records. The second version will only set the values to a new record
    if it is necessary to create one. I'm not sure what the intent is and you
    did not show us the sql used in cmdTemp so I cannot really tell if that is
    the culprit.

    Vince Xu [MSFT] wrote:
    > Hello Betty,

    <snip>

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Apr 29, 2009
  4. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Vince,

    It does happen that for some reasons(network communication error, server's
    slowness, etc), customers would submit twice.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, May 1, 2009
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Nice to hear from you again.

    cmdTemp.CommandText = "select * from " & sProductTable & " where
    order_id='" & order_id & "'"

    basically the cmdTemp just check if this specific record is inserted into
    the database or not.

    The database table was designed long time ago and it was not real relational
    database and by the time we want to enforce the primary, foreign keys etc.
    The table has thousands of records, not doable.

    Thank you so much.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, May 1, 2009
  6. c676228

    Bob Barrows Guest

    c676228 wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Nice to hear from you again.
    >
    > cmdTemp.CommandText = "select * from " & sProductTable & " where

    Why is the table a variable? Do you have multiple tables with a primary key
    of order_id? This seems like it could be a case of bad database design,
    unless subclassing was necessary. I don't have enough information to judge.

    > order_id='" & order_id & "'"
    >
    > basically the cmdTemp just check if this specific record is inserted
    > into the database or not.

    If order_id is the primary key, then this is not the problem. Again, I see
    nothing in either version of the code that would lead to duplicates. Again,
    the two versions do different things depending on if an existing record is
    found:
    The first version sets the existing record's data to the new data in the
    form submission.
    The second version does nothing with the submitted data (unless you've left
    out some subsequent code).

    Which one is the intended action?

    > The database table was designed long time ago and it was not real
    > relational database and by the time we want to enforce the primary,
    > foreign keys etc. The table has thousands of records, not doable.

    Of course it's doable. "thousands of records"? You say that as if it's a lot
    of records ... ;-)
    The only question is: do you want to do it?
    What is the backend database now?

    If order_id should be the primary key, this query will reveal which ones are
    duplicated:

    select order_id from orders group by order_id having count(*)>1

    Now the only question that remains is: what do you want to do with those
    duplicates? I would assume you want to eliminate the duplicates because
    really, what meaning can multiple records about a single order_id convey?
    Only one of those records is really relevant, correct? Anyways, this is as
    far as I can take you without further information about the database type
    and version and the table structure(s).
    See this article for information about eliminating duplicates:
    http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-remove-duplicates-from-a-table.html

    Bob Barrows, May 1, 2009
  7. Hello Betty,

    Sorry for my delay to come back, because there is a national day in my
    country. Now I'm available.
    Based on my understanding, the code you used submits twice so that it posts
    duplicate new records into the database.
    Did you use any additional submit() function in your code besides the form
    submit? Maybe some form1.submit() cause the duplicate submit. Please check
    it according to this clue. If it can't help you out, please post your codes
    in detail or post me the demo application.

    Sincerely,

    Vince Xu

    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------
> [...]
    with
    | > you may need further investigation to reach the most efficient
    resolution.
    | > The offering is not appropriate for situations that require urgent,
    | > real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this nature are best
    | > handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
    contacting
    | > Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
    | > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948874.aspx
    | > ==================================================
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <>
    | > | Subject: recordset.addNew
    | > | Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:48:01 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
    | > | post here.
    | > | What are the differences between these 2 versions:
    | > |
    | > | order_info_Open cmdTemp, , adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
    | > | if order_info.EOF then
    | > | order_info.AddNew
    | > | end if
    | > | order_info("EnrollDate").Value = Now()
    | > | order_info("City").Value = Request("City")
    | > | order_info("State").Value = Request("State")
    | > | order_info("Zip").Value = Request("Zip")
    | > | order_info("Email").Value = Request("Email")
    | > |
    | > | 2.
    | > | order_info_Open cmdTemp, , adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
    | > | if order_info.EOF then
    | > | order_info.AddNew
    | > | order_info("EnrollDate").Value = Now()
    | > | order_info("City").Value = Request("City")
    | > | order_info("State").Value = Request("State")
    | > | order_info("Zip").Value = Request("Zip")
    | > | order_info("Email").Value = Request("Email")
    | > | end if
    | > |
    | > | I am wondering whether the 1 version is culprit caused duplicated
    records
    | > in
    | > | the table.
    | > | --