recordset paging

sara

Hi all,
I have a strange problem. I have a page where I am
creating a recordset that can handle paging and the query
for it was originally selecting from only one table. This
was all working nicely, including the paging. I have now
changed the query to select from two joined tables and
suddenly it tells me that my recordset does not support
paging. Why is this?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
Sara

Bob Barrows [MVP]

sara said:
Hi all,
I have a strange problem. I have a page where I am
creating a recordset that can handle paging and the query
for it was originally selecting from only one table. This
was all working nicely, including the paging. I have now
changed the query to select from two joined tables and
suddenly it tells me that my recordset does not support
paging. Why is this?

Without seeing the code used to open the recordset, or the query used to
retrieve the records, we can only guess.

My guess is that you are opening a server-side cursor. You should set the
CursorLocation (look it up at msdn.microsoft.com/library) to adUseClient,
which will allow you to retrieve a static cursor that supports paging.

There are more efficient paging strategies described at:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2120

HTH,
Bob Barrows

Adam Short