recordset problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by GTN170777, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. GTN170777

    GTN170777 Guest

    Hi Guys, me again!!!!

    I've got a little recordset problem, basically I'm trying to build a jobs by
    email feature, so I have the following -

    Jobs by Email table which includes -

    category
    location
    keyword

    a form where an advertiser posts their vacancy, the form submits the data to
    the database and then passes the data on to the page that processes the jobs
    by email query -

    currently the recordset for selecting all users with matching jobs by email
    notifications looks like this --

    <%
    Dim jbeusers__MMColParam3
    jbeusers__MMColParam3 = "0"
    If (Session("SITEID") <> "") Then
    jbeusers__MMColParam3 = Session("SITEID")
    End If
    %>
    <%
    Dim jbeusers__MMColParam
    jbeusers__MMColParam = "0"
    If (Session("NEWVACANCYLOCATION") <> "") Then
    jbeusers__MMColParam = Session("NEWVACANCYLOCATION")
    End If
    %>
    <%
    Dim jbeusers__MMColParam2
    jbeusers__MMColParam2 = "0"
    If (Session("NEWVACANCYCATEGORY") <> "") Then
    jbeusers__MMColParam2 = Session("NEWVACANCYCATEGORY")
    End If
    %>
    <%
    Dim jbeusers__MMColParam4
    jbeusers__MMColParam4 = "%"
    If (Session("NEWVACANCYDESCRIPTION") <> "") Then
    jbeusers__MMColParam4 = Session("NEWVACANCYDESCRIPTION")
    End If
    %>
    <%
    Dim jbeusers
    Dim jbeusers_cmd
    Dim jbeusers_numRows

    Set jbeusers_cmd = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Command")
    jbeusers_cmd.ActiveConnection = MM_recruta2_STRING
    jbeusers_cmd.CommandText = "SELECT JBENusername, JBENPassword, JBENname FROM
    dbo.JBEmailNotification WHERE JBENsiteID = ? AND ? = JBENlocation AND ? =
    JBENcategory AND JBENKeyword LIKE ?"
    jbeusers_cmd.Prepared = true
    jbeusers_cmd.Parameters.Append jbeusers_cmd.CreateParameter("param1", 5, 1,
    -1, jbeusers__MMColParam3) ' adDouble
    jbeusers_cmd.Parameters.Append jbeusers_cmd.CreateParameter("param2", 200,
    1, 255, jbeusers__MMColParam) ' adVarChar
    jbeusers_cmd.Parameters.Append jbeusers_cmd.CreateParameter("param3", 200,
    1, 255, jbeusers__MMColParam2) ' adVarChar
    jbeusers_cmd.Parameters.Append jbeusers_cmd.CreateParameter("param4", 200,
    1, 255, "%" + jbeusers__MMColParam4 + "%") ' adVarChar

    Set jbeusers = jbeusers_cmd.Execute
    jbeusers_numRows = 0
    %>

    this works fine if the variables are -

    MMColParam3 = 31
    MMColParam = Hereford
    MMColParam2 = IT
    MMColParam4 = dreamweaver

    as I have two records in the jobs by email table that match this criteria...

    However as MMColParam4 is the advert description, it would contain more than
    just dreamweaverr in it, for instance when i try and use the value "we
    urgently require dreamweaver developers"

    The recordset returns no records...

    effectively what I'm trying to do is filter records where the siteid,
    location and category match of the advert and the jobs by email keyword is
    contained within the description,..
    Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Thank you
    GTN170777, Jul 21, 2008

  2. GTN170777 wrote:
    > Hi Guys, me again!!!!
    >
    > I've got a little recordset problem, basically I'm trying to build a
    > jobs by email feature, so I have the following -
    >
    > Jobs by Email table which includes -

    What database are you using?

    > category
    > location
    > keyword
    >
    > a form where an advertiser posts their vacancy, the form submits the
    > data to the database and then passes the data on to the page that
    > processes the jobs by email query -
    >
    > currently the recordset for selecting all users with matching jobs by
    > email notifications looks like this --

    <snip>
    > jbeusers_cmd.CommandText = "SELECT JBENusername, JBENPassword,
    > JBENname FROM dbo.JBEmailNotification WHERE JBENsiteID = ? AND ? =
    > JBENlocation AND ? = JBENcategory AND JBENKeyword LIKE ?"

    <snip>
    > jbeusers_cmd.Parameters.Append jbeusers_cmd.CreateParameter("param4",
    > 200, 1, ' adVarChar

    Well, it appears that what you have done here should work ... you're going
    to a little too much trouble (you could use a variant array to pass the
    parameter values rather than going to the trouble of building the Parameters
    collection) but that should not be causing this symptom.

    Try appending the wildcards in your query rather than in the parameter
    value:

    If Access:
    .... JBENKeyword LIKE '%' & ? & '%'"

    If SQL Server:
    .... JBENKeyword LIKE '%' + ? + '%'"

    and change your CreateParameter call to:
    255, jbeusers__MMColParam4)

    I'm curious:
    why do you write "? = JBENcategory" instead of "JBENcategory = ?"

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2008

  3. GTN170777

    GTN170777 Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Just tried changing that, I've put it together as an SP - shown below,

    Again the recordset works fine if the description is only dreamweaver, but
    if it is for example, we need dreamweaver developers, nothing is returned --

    so really what I am trying to do is select a record where the keyword is
    contained in the description variuable, as well as the other criteria??

    CREATE PROCEDURE TEST
    @SiteID int,
    @Description nvarchar(1000),
    @location nvarchar(50),
    @category nvarchar(50)
    AS
    SELECT JBENUsername, JBENname, JBENPassword
    FROM JBEmailNotification
    WHERE JBENsiteID = @SiteID AND JBENlocation = @location AND JBENcategory =
    @category AND JBENKeyword LIKE '%'+'@Description'+'%'
    GO

    Thanks for your help, any other thoughts would be great?

    GTN170777, Jul 21, 2008
  4. GTN170777 wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Just tried changing that, I've put it together as an SP - shown below,
    >
    > Again the recordset works fine if the description is only
    > dreamweaver, but
    > if it is for example, we need dreamweaver developers, nothing is
    > returned --
    >
    > so really what I am trying to do is select a record where the keyword
    > is contained in the description variuable, as well as the other
    > criteria??
    >
    > CREATE PROCEDURE TEST
    > @SiteID int,
    > @Description nvarchar(1000),
    > @location nvarchar(50),
    > @category nvarchar(50)
    > AS
    > SELECT JBENUsername, JBENname, JBENPassword
    > FROM JBEmailNotification
    > WHERE JBENsiteID = @SiteID AND JBENlocation = @location AND
    > JBENcategory = @category AND JBENKeyword LIKE '%'+'@Description'+'%'
    > GO

    So this is SQL Server ... what version?
    When you run this procedure in Query Analyzer or SSMS, does it return the
    correct results? If so, the problem is in the vbscript code.

    If not, you need to show me how to reproduce the symptoms. Generate a CREATE
    TABLE script for your JBEmailNotification table, create some insert
    statements to insert some sample data that I can run, and I will try to
    repro this.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2008
  5. GTN170777

    GTN170777 Guest

    Hi Bob,

    MS SQL Server 2000,

    the DDL for the JBEmailNotification table is

    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[JBEmailNotification] (
    [JBENotificationID] int IDENTITY(1, 1) NOT NULL,
    [JBENsiteID] int NULL,
    [JBENlocation] nvarchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [JBENcategory] nvarchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [JBENname] nvarchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [JBENusername] nvarchar(225) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [JBENcandidateID] int NULL,
    [JBENPassword] nvarchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    [JBENDateRegistered] datetime CONSTRAINT [DF__JBEmailNo__JBEND__3FD07829]
    DEFAULT convert(char(19),getdate(),120) NULL,
    [JBENKeyword] nvarchar(100) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL,
    CONSTRAINT [aaaaaJBEmailNotification_PK] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
    ([JBENotificationID])
    )
    ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

    Not to sure how to write an insert statement, currently though i just have
    one record -

    JBENsiteID - 31
    JBENlocation = Hereford
    JBENcategory = IT
    JBENname = Gareth
    JBENusername =
    JBENPassword = lorgar
    JBENKeyword = dreamweaver

    Hope this is of use and you can highlight what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks

    GTN170777, Jul 21, 2008
  6. GTN170777 wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > MS SQL Server 2000,
    >
    > the DDL for the JBEmailNotification table is
    >
    > CREATE TABLE [dbo].[JBEmailNotification] (
    > [JBENotificationID] int IDENTITY(1, 1) NOT NULL,
    > [JBENsiteID] int NULL,
    > [JBENlocation] nvarchar(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    > NULL, [JBENcategory] nvarchar(50) COLLATE
    > SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [JBENname] nvarchar(50) COLLATE
    > SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [JBENusername] nvarchar(225)
    > COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [JBENcandidateID] int
    > NULL, [JBENPassword] nvarchar(50) COLLATE
    > SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, [JBENDateRegistered] datetime
    > CONSTRAINT [DF__JBEmailNo__JBEND__3FD07829] DEFAULT
    > convert(char(19),getdate(),120) NULL, [JBENKeyword] nvarchar(100)
    > COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, CONSTRAINT
    > [aaaaaJBEmailNotification_PK] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED
    > ([JBENotificationID]) )
    > ON [PRIMARY]
    > GO
    >
    > Not to sure how to write an insert statement,

    For future reference:
    INsert tablename (columns)
    VALUES (<list of hard-coded values>)

    There are tools to enable these statements to be generated, including this
    code from Vyas:
    http://vyaskn.tripod.com/code.htm#inserts

    > currently though i just
    > have one record -
    >
    > JBENsiteID - 31
    > JBENlocation = Hereford
    > JBENcategory = IT
    > JBENname = Gareth
    > JBENusername =
    > JBENPassword = lorgar
    > JBENKeyword = dreamweaver

    I just spotted your problem: you enclosed the @description parameter in
    quotes:
    AND JBENKeyword LIKE '%'+'@Description'+'%'

    '@description' does not exist in your data, correct? it should of course be
    AND JBENKeyword LIKE '%'+@Description+'%'

    UPDATE dbo.JBEmailNotification
    SET JBENKeyword = 'dreamweaver'
    exec TEST 31,'dreamweaver','Hereford','IT'
    UPDATE dbo.JBEmailNotification
    SET JBENKeyword = 'dreamweaver engineer'
    exec TEST 31,'dreamweaver','Hereford','IT'

    The above script returns the correct results for me.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 21, 2008
  7. GTN170777

    Old Pedant Guest

    I don't think Bob Barrows has completely diagnosed your problem.

    He is patently correct about getting rid of the '...' around '@description',
    but I think that's just part of the problem.

    Let's consider what happens when you use
    WHERE ...JBENKeyword LIKE '%'+@Description+'%'
    and then pass in an @Description value such as
    'we need dreamweaver developers'

    Okay, so AFTER the substitution, you will be doing
    WHERE ...JBENKeyword LIKE '%we need dreamweaver developers%'

    And if you have *ONLY* the one record with the value
    JBENKeyword = 'dreamweaver'
    then you are essentially trying to do
    WHERE ...'dreamweaver' LIKE '%we need dreamweaver developers%'

    Guess what? You ain't never gonna find no match on that!!!!

    *NOW* try doing
    WHERE ...'we need dreamweaver developers' LIKE '%' + JBENKeyword + '%'

    You see it?

    If not, look here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933232(SQL.80).aspx
    Old Pedant, Jul 21, 2008
  8. GTN170777

    Old Pedant Guest

    So if it's not obvious, you should be doing
    WHERE ... @Description LIKE '%' + JBENKeyword '%'

    Remember. the '%' character when used with LIKE means "and any number of
    other characters". So '%Dreamweaver%' means '[any
    stuff]Dreamwearver[anystuff]'.

    Caution: This still isn't going to find a description such as
    'we need dream weaver developers'
    (note the space between 'dream' and 'weaver')

    Since you are using SQL Server, perhaps you would want to consider full text
    searching, and then allowing your job postings to have nice long keyword
    strings with every possibly fun matching keyword in them?
    Old Pedant, Jul 21, 2008
  9. GTN170777

    GTN170777 Guest

    Hi Both, Thanks for your help so far, I am sadly still having major problems
    and can't get it to return any records now...

    I've tried the below but get nothing

    CREATE PROCEDURE TEST
    @SiteID int,
    @Description nvarchar(1000),
    @location nvarchar(50),
    @category nvarchar(50)
    AS
    SELECT JBENUsername, JBENname, JBENPassword
    FROM JBEmailNotification
    WHERE JBENsiteID = @SiteID AND JBENlocation = @location AND JBENcategory =
    @category AND @Description LIKE '%+JBENKeyword%'

    When i tried @Description LIKE '%'+JBENKeyword'%' I got a Incorrect syntax
    near '%'. error message

    ??

    GTN170777, Jul 22, 2008

    That's because it should have said this:

    @Description LIKE '%' & JBENKeyword & '%'
    (I tend to use & for concatenation to avoid unexpected results)

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 22, 2008
  11. GTN170777

    Old Pedant Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > That's because it should have said this:
    >
    > @Description LIKE '%' & JBENKeyword & '%'
    > (I tend to use & for concatenation to avoid unexpected results)

    Well, yes, you SHOULD use & for concatenation in VBScript and VB and even
    Access SQL.

    BUT *NEVER NEVER* in SQL Server! GTN even said so.

    For SQL Server, look here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa276846(SQL.80).aspx

    The & operator in T-SQL is *ONLY* used to mean bit-wise anding.

    You *MUST* use + for string concatenation in T-SQL. Period.

    And this *IS* SQL Server 2000.

    And
    Old Pedant, Jul 22, 2008
  12. GTN170777

    Old Pedant Guest

    *I* wrote:

    > *NOW* try doing
    > WHERE ...'we need dreamweaver developers' LIKE '%' + JBENKeyword + '%'

    *YOU* coded
    > ... AND @Description LIKE '%+JBENKeyword%'

    Those two are not even *CLOSE* to this same thing.

    Yes, the second time I posted I typoed and left out the + operator when I
    wrote

    > So if it's not obvious, you should be doing
    > WHERE ... @Description LIKE '%' + JBENKeyword '%'

    Clearly that should have been

    > WHERE ... @Description LIKE '%' + JBENKeyword + '%'

    We are trying to BUILD UP a string that has the keyword in the middle and a
    % character on each end. And the only good way to do that in SQL Server
    (T-SQL, same thing) is to use the + operator.
    Old Pedant, Jul 22, 2008
  13. GTN170777

    Old Pedant Guest

    Sorry for slight scrambling of order of paragraphs in that last post.

    I hate these silly tiny <textarea>s for typing in posts.

    Anyway.... + and not & for T-SQL string concatenation.
    Old Pedant, Jul 22, 2008
  14. Old Pedant wrote:
    > Sorry for slight scrambling of order of paragraphs in that last post.
    >
    > I hate these silly tiny <textarea>s for typing in posts.
    >
    > Anyway.... + and not & for T-SQL string concatenation.

    Oh, I forgot she said she was using SQL 2000.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 22, 2008
  15. GTN170777

    GTN170777 Guest

    Thanks Old Pedant, works a treat (sorry for the late responce - had a cold)
    I'm hoping to get on an MS SQL course, am UK based, can you recommend any?

    Again thanks for your help

    GTN

    GTN170777, Jul 24, 2008