Recovering from a HD crash

Peter Morris

Hi all

I experienced a HD crash recently and have had to restore from a backup (now
I am glad for my level of backup paranoia). My question is, what is the
best way to create my virtual folders in ISS again? I have created virtual
folders before, but VS creates them as applications or something?

Thanks

Lenard Gunda

There is nothing magical in creating your virtual folders again. Actually,
if you let VS create them, there should be real folders inside the
C:\inetpub\wwwroot directory. But if you stored them somewhere else, you
need virtual folders.

If you have a folder - virtual or real - and it is not an application, you
can do the following. Right click the folder, and choose properties. On the
Directory tab, under Application Settings, click on Create. This will
designate that folder as an application. If you add virtual fodlers, there
you have an option to turn on ASP or make it an application folder, as far
as I recall, so you don't need to do this manually.

-Lenard

PS. Just in case you wouldn't know, application folders are those with the
box icon. Those with normal windows folder like icons are not applications,
but the above method can make them an application in a few clicks.