Recreate msdn drill down look and feel

Mark

Any suggestions or documentation links on how to recreate the look and feel
of the MSDN website with the drill down menus on the left? We have some
intranet applications that we can restrict to the latest versions of
Internet Explorer which I'm assuming should help.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

get the free treeview control from www.asp.net

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP
------------------------------------
<blatant plug>
Professional .NET for Java Developers with C#- ISBN: 1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms - ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition - ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP - ISBN:
1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development - ISBN: 1861002092
</blatant plug>

Chris Jackson

Such tree controls work very well when you have small numbers of nodes in
your tree. However, this model begins to break down as the number of nodes
becomes very large - the rendering time of the DHTML quickly gets
unreasonable. What they do on MSDN utilizes behaviors and XML files, but you
can do the same with a script that isn't implemented as a behavior (which
gives you some cross browser options, if you want to support
Netscape/Mozilla in the future) and web services. You can create scripts
that respond to mouse events if the node is a branch, make an HTTP request
to get the contents of the child nodes, and then inject the innerHTML into
your page. It really depends on exactly how scalable you need the tree to
be.