Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

John Owens

I am an ex games programmer who is looking to get into "normal" business C++
programming or move to C# or Java.

Does anyone know any good agencies for the London area ( preferably zone 1
or 2 ).

Thanks

Victor Bazarov

John said:
I am an ex games programmer who is looking to get into "normal" business C++
programming or move to C# or Java.

Does anyone know any good agencies for the London area ( preferably zone 1
or 2 ).

There are at least 2 newsgroups better suited for this than comp.lang.c++:
uk.jobs.d and uk.jobs.wanted. Post there please. Here we talk language
issues.

John Owens

Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

Victor Bazarov

John said:
Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

"Nazi"? Oh, thank you, John, for this. Do you actually know the meaning
of the word? And for the future reference, it's "newsgroup police", not
"newsgroup nazi".
I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

Discussions of employment agencies are simply not on topic here. And if
nobody uses the right newsgroups to discuss what the newsgroups were
created for, of course they decay and get only junk and porn.

As soon as we here begin entertaining inquiries like yours, comp.lang.c++
will eventually lose its appeal to those who do want to discuss C++ as
originally intended for comp.lang.c++. They will leave, and the newsgroup
will soon become a place for platform, employment, and other unrelated to
the language itself topics, and later, overrun by non-topical posts, will
share the fate of other forums where no human dares to venture any more
and where spam-bots run amok.

Is that something you'd like to see happen? Is that something you'd like
to pride yourself for being a contributer to?

If you can't comprehend this simple thing called "topicality", then sorry
to have made you read this, it apparently will fall on deaf ears.

And don't top-post, please. Thanks.

Default User

John said:
Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

You can disabuse yourself of that notion right now. Most of the
knowledgable participants in the newsgroup agree with Victor. All this
message will do further damage any credibility you might have had. Your
proper response should have been, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, please
forgive me."

Instead, you insult a regular participant. Not smart.
I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

That doesn't give you any right to violate the topicality here. Had you
bothered to follow the least bit of netiquette (and your top-posting
only confirms this) you would have known your post was inappropriate
because you would have found the FAQ and read a representative sample
of several weeks worth of posts.

Brian

Larry Brasfield

John Owens said:
Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

What a moron. Topicality is in the interest of all
participants other than those who wish to exploit
those who come here because of its topicality.
Victor or others who remind abusers speak for
all of us.
I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

Nobody questions that you had some personal
reason for abusing this NG.

[Old quotes left to show how inappropriate the "nazi" remark is.]

White Wolf

John said:
Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they
had used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups
which seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

Is that your real name dear? You know members of the UK organization of C
and C++ users happen to read this newsgroup. And as of now, I do not rem

Mike Wahler

John Owens said:
Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

No, this newsgroup has been struck by an inconsiderate,
ignorant fool, evidenced by his disregard for topicality
and netiquette, and his top-posting.

Retaliation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.

-Mike

White Wolf

Mike said:
No, this newsgroup has been struck by an inconsiderate,
ignorant fool, evidenced by his disregard for topicality
and netiquette, and his top-posting.

Retaliation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.

Eh. My new magic keyboard has new magic keys. So instead of cancelling
something I started to write I have sent it. :-((( Next time I should
change my mind before hitting reply. :)

As a sidenote: I have no idea what those people think who come into this
group and start to send everyone to hell. Especially those looking for a
job. I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
there are people reading this newsgroup? Sad. One guy having a bad day, so
we all have one.

Victor Bazarov

White said:
[..] I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
there are people reading this newsgroup? [..]

I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
(in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
more?

_I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

Ioannis Vranos

Victor said:
I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
(in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
more?

Make that millions. :) In 2001 IDC estimated C++ programmers at the
time to 2.7 millions and were increasing.

I recall that after some years I came across a more recent IDC Developer
report where that number was much larger than that (perhaps more than
double), however I do not recall the exact figure.

Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis said:
Make that millions. :) In 2001 IDC estimated C++ programmers at the
time to
2.6

Victor Bazarov said:
White said:
[..] I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
there are people reading this newsgroup? [..]

I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
(in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
more?

_I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

I'm surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) by how many IT people
I meet who have never heard of Usenet. Many also believe
that the Internet and the World Wide Web are the same thing,
and that the Internet is about fifteen years old.

-Mike

John Owens

I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
(in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
more?

_I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

That's because most C++ programmers are busy doing their job and when we
need to find out how to do something (or do it better), we refer to books by
people like Meyers etc. that we can trust. I'm not trying to be
disrespectful of anyone's experience here, but there is just no way you can
tell by a post especially if you are the one asking the question.

I apologise for top-posting and posting off topic but "newsgroup police",
calling people who are authority power junkies Nazis is common non-computer
lingo.

Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and you will
just be wasting bandwidth.

Victor Bazarov

John Owens said:
[...]
Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and you
will
just be wasting bandwidth.

Whew... I'm so relieved...

Attila Feher

Hm. We could make a significant town if we would gather together. That
would be an interesting place. :)))

Attila Feher

John said:
That's because most C++ programmers are busy doing their job and when

So are those who post here, and wasting their time with academic questions
(or trolling) is mean. Not to mention being an S-whole and suggesting that
people who write here do not work.
we need to find out how to do something (or do it better), we refer
to books by people like Meyers etc. that we can trust.

Ahha. And do you, greenhorn, know where Scott turns if he wants to know
something? TO THE NEWSGROUPS you are bashing here. You are not only
annoying because you think you (and your time) is more important than anyone
elses, but because you have these idiotic argument of authority. So be
ashemed and open your More Effective C++ on page xi, then on xii, xiii and
keep banging your head into the wall, whilre you are reading paragraph 3 on
page xi and paragraphs 2 and 8 on page xii, and paragraph 4 on page xiii.
You really should read those books you are bragging about. The above
mentioned paragraph say thanks to the people of newsgroup comp.lang.c++ for
their help as well as give credit to those people of comp.lang.c++ whose
ideas ended up in his book.

Do you feel the shame now?
I'm not trying
to be disrespectful of anyone's experience here,

No, you are not trying - that is true - you are doing it.
but there is just no way you can tell by a post
especially if you are the one asking the question.

This is a red herring.
I apologise for top-posting and posting off topic but "newsgroup
police", calling people who are authority power junkies Nazis is
common non-computer lingo.

For people with no taste maybe.
Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and
you will just be wasting bandwidth.

You are coming back. I know the kind of you: you must see the reactions.

Adie

Victor said:
"Nazi"? Oh, thank you, John, for this. Do you actually know the meaning
of the word? And for the future reference, it's "newsgroup police", not
"newsgroup nazi".

WRONG! We Usenetizens use the term 'netcop' Vic. Although was also shy away
from invoking Godwin's.

Howard

Ioannis Vranos said:
The paradise on earth! :)

I don't know about you, but I'd rather live in a town full of swimsuit
models than C++ programmers, any day!

(But please don't tell my wife I said that!!!) :)

-H