    Does anyone know any good agencies for the London area ( preferably zone 1
    or 2 ).

    Thanks
    John Owens, Jan 19, 2005

  2. John Owens wrote:
    > I am an ex games programmer who is looking to get into "normal" business C++
    > programming or move to C# or Java.
    >
    > Does anyone know any good agencies for the London area ( preferably zone 1
    > or 2 ).

    There are at least 2 newsgroups better suited for this than comp.lang.c++:
    uk.jobs.d and uk.jobs.wanted. Post there please. Here we talk language
    issues.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 19, 2005

  3. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
    used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
    seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

    John Owens, Jan 19, 2005
  4. John Owens wrote:
    > Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    "Nazi"? Oh, thank you, John, for this. Do you actually know the meaning
    of the word? And for the future reference, it's "newsgroup police", not
    "newsgroup nazi".

    > I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
    > used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
    > seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

    Discussions of employment agencies are simply not on topic here. And if
    nobody uses the right newsgroups to discuss what the newsgroups were
    created for, of course they decay and get only junk and porn.

    As soon as we here begin entertaining inquiries like yours, comp.lang.c++
    will eventually lose its appeal to those who do want to discuss C++ as
    originally intended for comp.lang.c++. They will leave, and the newsgroup
    will soon become a place for platform, employment, and other unrelated to
    the language itself topics, and later, overrun by non-topical posts, will
    share the fate of other forums where no human dares to venture any more
    and where spam-bots run amok.

    Is that something you'd like to see happen? Is that something you'd like
    to pride yourself for being a contributer to?

    If you can't comprehend this simple thing called "topicality", then sorry
    to have made you read this, it apparently will fall on deaf ears.

    And don't top-post, please. Thanks.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 19, 2005
  5. John Owens

    Default User Guest

    John Owens wrote:
    > Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    You can disabuse yourself of that notion right now. Most of the
    knowledgable participants in the newsgroup agree with Victor. All this
    message will do further damage any credibility you might have had. Your
    proper response should have been, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, please
    forgive me."

    Instead, you insult a regular participant. Not smart.

    > I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that

    they had
    > used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups

    which
    > seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

    That doesn't give you any right to violate the topicality here. Had you
    bothered to follow the least bit of netiquette (and your top-posting
    only confirms this) you would have known your post was inappropriate
    because you would have found the FAQ and read a representative sample
    of several weeks worth of posts.

    Brian
    Default User, Jan 19, 2005
  6. "John Owens" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    What a moron. Topicality is in the interest of all
    participants other than those who wish to exploit
    those who come here because of its topicality.
    Victor or others who remind abusers speak for
    all of us.

    > I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they had
    > used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups which
    > seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

    Nobody questions that you had some personal
    reason for abusing this NG.

    [Old quotes left to show how inappropriate the "nazi" remark is.]

    --
    --Larry Brasfield
    email:
    Larry Brasfield, Jan 19, 2005
  7. John Owens

    White Wolf Guest

    John Owens wrote:
    > Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.
    >
    > I was only looking for anyone's personal oppinion of an agency that they
    > had used, somehow I don't think I will find that on those two newsgroups
    > which seemed to only have junk and porn posted on them.

    Is that your real name dear? You know members of the UK organization of C
    and C++ users happen to read this newsgroup. And as of now, I do not rem

    --
    WW aka Attila
    :::
    White Wolf, Jan 19, 2005
  8. John Owens

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "John Owens" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    No, this newsgroup has been struck by an inconsiderate,
    ignorant fool, evidenced by his disregard for topicality
    and netiquette, and his top-posting.

    Retaliation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jan 19, 2005
  9. John Owens

    White Wolf Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > "John Owens" <> wrote in message
    >> Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    > No, this newsgroup has been struck by an inconsiderate,
    > ignorant fool, evidenced by his disregard for topicality
    > and netiquette, and his top-posting.
    >
    > Retaliation is inevitable. Resistance is futile.

    Eh. My new magic keyboard has new magic keys. So instead of cancelling
    something I started to write I have sent it. :-((( Next time I should
    change my mind before hitting reply. :)

    As a sidenote: I have no idea what those people think who come into this
    group and start to send everyone to hell. Especially those looking for a
    job. I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
    there are people reading this newsgroup? Sad. One guy having a bad day, so
    we all have one.

    --
    WW aka Attila
    :::
    White Wolf, Jan 19, 2005
  10. [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    White Wolf wrote:
    > [..] I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
    > there are people reading this newsgroup? [..]

    I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
    (in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
    happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
    how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
    200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
    more?

    _I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
    the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
    do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
    where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
    Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 19, 2005
  11. Re: [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
    > (in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
    > happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
    > how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
    > 200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
    > more?

    Make that millions. :) In 2001 IDC estimated C++ programmers at the
    time to 2.7 millions and were increasing.

    I recall that after some years I came across a more recent IDC Developer
    report where that number was much larger than that (perhaps more than
    double), however I do not recall the exact figure.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Re: [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    > Make that millions. :) In 2001 IDC estimated C++ programmers at the
    > time to

    2.6

    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 19, 2005
  13. John Owens

    Mike Wahler Guest

    > White Wolf wrote:
    > > [..] I mean isn't it so that in any UK shop (where it is worth to work)
    > > there are people reading this newsgroup? [..]

    > I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
    > (in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
    > happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
    > how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
    > 200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
    > more?
    >
    > _I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
    > the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
    > do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
    > where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
    > Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

    I'm surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) by how many IT people
    I meet who have never heard of Usenet. Many also believe
    that the Internet and the World Wide Web are the same thing,
    and that the Internet is about fifteen years old.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jan 19, 2005
  14. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    Re: [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    > I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++ programmers
    > (in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a group of folks who
    > happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now and then. Honestly,
    > how many different posters over the last year can we count here? 100?
    > 200? And how many C++ programmers are out there? Hundred thousand or
    > more?
    >
    > _I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
    > the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I would
    > do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do that and
    > where to look... How many of your colleagues have never considered
    > Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

    That's because most C++ programmers are busy doing their job and when we
    need to find out how to do something (or do it better), we refer to books by
    people like Meyers etc. that we can trust. I'm not trying to be
    disrespectful of anyone's experience here, but there is just no way you can
    tell by a post especially if you are the one asking the question.

    I apologise for top-posting and posting off topic but "newsgroup police",
    calling people who are authority power junkies Nazis is common non-computer
    lingo.

    Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and you will
    just be wasting bandwidth.
    John Owens, Jan 20, 2005
  15. Re: [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    "John Owens" <> wrote...
    > [...]
    > Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and you
    > will
    > just be wasting bandwidth.

    Whew... I'm so relieved...
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 20, 2005
  16. John Owens

    Attila Feher Guest

    Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    >>
    >> Make that millions. :) In 2001 IDC estimated C++ programmers at the
    >> time to

    > 2.6
    >
    >> millions and were increasing.

    Hm. We could make a significant town if we would gather together. That
    would be an interesting place. :)))

    --
    Attila aka WW
    Attila Feher, Jan 20, 2005
  17. John Owens

    Attila Feher Guest

    John Owens wrote:
    >> I am not at all convinced that a significant number of C++
    >> programmers (in the world) read c.l.c++. It seems rather that a
    >> group of folks who happen to be C++ programmers do visit c.l.c++ now
    >> and then. Honestly, how many different posters over the last year
    >> can we count here? 100? 200? And how many C++ programmers are out
    >> there? Hundred thousand or more?
    >>
    >> _I_ would definitely make checking out Usenet and Web for the name of
    >> the applicant a part of screening process. But that's just it, I
    >> would do that only because I myself am out there and know how to do
    >> that and where to look... How many of your colleagues have never
    >> considered Usenet a worthwhile source of _any_ information?

    > That's because most C++ programmers are busy doing their job and when

    So are those who post here, and wasting their time with academic questions
    (or trolling) is mean. Not to mention being an S-whole and suggesting that
    people who write here do not work.

    > we need to find out how to do something (or do it better), we refer
    > to books by people like Meyers etc. that we can trust.

    Ahha. And do you, greenhorn, know where Scott turns if he wants to know
    something? TO THE NEWSGROUPS you are bashing here. You are not only
    annoying because you think you (and your time) is more important than anyone
    elses, but because you have these idiotic argument of authority. So be
    ashemed and open your More Effective C++ on page xi, then on xii, xiii and
    keep banging your head into the wall, whilre you are reading paragraph 3 on
    page xi and paragraphs 2 and 8 on page xii, and paragraph 4 on page xiii.
    You really should read those books you are bragging about. The above
    mentioned paragraph say thanks to the people of newsgroup comp.lang.c++ for
    their help as well as give credit to those people of comp.lang.c++ whose
    ideas ended up in his book.

    Do you feel the shame now?

    > I'm not trying
    > to be disrespectful of anyone's experience here,

    No, you are not trying - that is true - you are doing it.

    > but there is just no way you can tell by a post
    > especially if you are the one asking the question.

    This is a red herring.

    > I apologise for top-posting and posting off topic but "newsgroup
    > police", calling people who are authority power junkies Nazis is
    > common non-computer lingo.

    For people with no taste maybe.

    > Anyway, don't bother flaming me again as I won't be coming back and
    > you will just be wasting bandwidth.

    You are coming back. I know the kind of you: you must see the reactions.

    --
    Attila aka WW
    Attila Feher, Jan 20, 2005
  18. Re: [my OT] Re: Recruitment Agencies for the London area.

    Attila Feher wrote:

    > Hm. We could make a significant town if we would gather together. That
    > would be an interesting place. :)))

    The paradise on earth! :)

    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 20, 2005
  19. John Owens

    Adie Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > John Owens wrote:
    >>
    >> Looks like I've been struck by the newsgroup nazi.

    > "Nazi"? Oh, thank you, John, for this. Do you actually know the meaning
    > of the word? And for the future reference, it's "newsgroup police", not
    > "newsgroup nazi".

    WRONG! We Usenetizens use the term 'netcop' Vic. Although was also shy away
    from invoking Godwin's.
    Adie, Jan 20, 2005
  20. John Owens

    Howard Guest

    "Ioannis Vranos" <> wrote in message
    > Attila Feher wrote:
    >
    >> Hm. We could make a significant town if we would gather together. That
    >> would be an interesting place. :)))

    > The paradise on earth! :)

    I don't know about you, but I'd rather live in a town full of swimsuit
    models than C++ programmers, any day!

    -H
    Howard, Jan 20, 2005