Recursive, Dynamic element tags with type for PCDATA

Discussion in 'XML' started by John-Orr, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. John-Orr

    John-Orr Guest

    hi guys have a problem....... an XML problem

    basically my XML looks like this

    <heritage>
    <parent>343453
    <parent>35634654
    <parent>456456
    <parent>456456
    ..........loads more nested parent tags
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </heritage>

    I can't seem to design a schema that will allow me to create a
    recursive complex data type and also specify the type of PCDATA i.e.
    unsignedint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I know there must be a way I have checked all the usual sites etc and
    nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for reading this far guys and gals

    JOH
    John-Orr, Mar 30, 2005

  2. > I know there must be a way

    How do you know this:)

    Not using XSD schema as far as I'm aware. Generally if you have control
    over the input format you may prefer to not used mixed content like this
    but have

    <heritage>
    ..........loads more nested parent tags
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </parent>
    </heritage>

    which would make life easier for XSD and also other processing with
    XPath etc. You could alternatively use other systems for constraining
    your original format, relax ng, schematron, etc.

    David
    David Carlisle, Mar 30, 2005