recursive function help (pls)

Guest

Hello All, this is my first post.
OK - The goal is to display the following (note: substitute 1' ' for 2'*')
by using 3 recursive functions.
0123454321001234543210
**012343210012343210**
****01232100123210****
******0121001210******
********010010********
**********00**********
**********00**********
********010010********
******0121001210******
****01232100123210****
**012343210012343210**
0123454321001234543210

Obviously, I'm having trouble with the exact specs, but I'm looking for
guidance in the spacing aspect - I'm close with the digits (my code produces
one half of the display)- Thanks

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

void Fun1 (int);
void Fun2 (int, int);
void Fun3 (int);

int main()
{
cout <<"Enter an integer between 1 and 9 : ";
int Value;
cin >> Value;

int count = 0;
while (Value > count)
{
Fun2 (0, Value);
Fun1 (Value);
Fun2 (0, Value);
cout <<endl;
Fun1 (Value);
// Fun3 (Value);
--Value;
}

return 0;
}
void Fun1 (int n)
{
char c = ' ';
string space = "";
int i = n;
n = n - (i - 1);
while (i <= n)
{
cout<<n;
++i;
/*
string Reverse (int Number)
{
string s = "";
string c;
for(int bit; Number != 0;)
{
bit = Number % 2;
Number = Number / 2;
c = char ('0' + bit);
s = s + c;
}
cout <<s<<endl<<endl;
return s;
}
*/
void Fun2 (int current, int stopval)
{
cout <<current;
if (current < stopval)
{
Fun2(current + 1, stopval);
cout << current;
/*void Fun3 (int descend)
{
while (descend >= 0)
{
cout <<descend;
descend--;
}
cout << endl;
}
*/

Victor Bazarov

Hello All, this is my first post.
OK - The goal is to display the following (note: substitute 1' ' for 2'*')

I am not sure I understand the words in the parentheses. So, what
the printout should look like?
by using 3 recursive functions.

Should each recurse in itself directly or through the other two?
0123454321001234543210
**012343210012343210**
****01232100123210****
******0121001210******
********010010********
**********00**********
**********00**********
********010010********
******0121001210******
****01232100123210****
**012343210012343210**
0123454321001234543210

Obviously, I'm having trouble with the exact specs,
Why?

but I'm looking for
guidance in the spacing aspect - I'm close with the digits (my code produces
one half of the display)- Thanks

What's "the spacing aspect"?

Your code contains no comments, your variable names like 'n' or 'i'
and function names like Fun1, Fun2, are of no help either. If you
want advice, rewrite the whole thing but this time _begin_ with
writing comments. Describe what your function is supposed to do.
Only when you're satisfied with the plain English (or whatever is
your language of choice for comments) version, begin writing C++
statements _right_next_ to the comments.

Name variables so that the code can be easily understood, just by
looking at the variables and functions. Name functions so that you
(mainly, after that -- everybody else) could understand what the
function does.

One of my college teachers used to say "A good drawing of the problem
is half of the solution". Well, he taught theoretical mechanics, and
drawings did help. In your case, _pseudo_code_ is of utter importance
before anything. Once you figure out "exact specs", write them down
in the same comments. Then gradually complete the assignment.

Good luck! And don't be afraid of a few do-overs. At some point you
will get used to doing it the right way the first time.

Victor

Dan W.

Hello All, this is my first post.
OK - The goal is to display the following (note: substitute 1' ' for 2'*')
by using 3 recursive functions.

Re.: "..by using...":
The solution to a problem can never be said to be a 'goal'. The goal
is solving the problem. And what the problem is, is not clear.
0123454321001234543210
**012343210012343210**
****01232100123210****
******0121001210******
********010010********
**********00**********
**********00**********
********010010********
******0121001210******
****01232100123210****
**012343210012343210**
0123454321001234543210

Obviously, I'm having trouble with the exact specs, but I'm looking for
guidance in the spacing aspect - I'm close with the digits (my code produces
one half of the display)- Thanks

Again, which spacing aspect? What do you *want* it to do?
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

void Fun1 (int);
void Fun2 (int, int);
void Fun3 (int);

It's okay to use names like FunX(int) when what the function is or
does is irrelevant to the subject matter. Here your functions ARE the
subject matter, so they should be named in a way that clarifies what
they are meant to do.
int main()
{
cout <<"Enter an integer between 1 and 9 : ";
int Value;
cin >> Value;

int count = 0;
while (Value > count)
{
Fun2 (0, Value);
Fun1 (Value);
Fun2 (0, Value);

Incomprehensible with such names.
cout <<endl;
Fun1 (Value);
// Fun3 (Value);
--Value;
}

return 0;
}
void Fun1 (int n)
{
char c = ' ';
string space = "";

If you want to initialize 'space' to a space, you'd want to put a
space between the quotes. If you don't, then you shouldn't call it
'space'. In any case, you never use the variable in the function.
Furthermore, if you use an std::string it usually means that you want
to do something more sophisticated than what you could achieve by
simply declaring a char,

char space = ' ';
int i = n;
n = n - (i - 1);

You mean, n = 1 ?
while (i <= n)
{
cout<<n;
++i;
/*
string Reverse (int Number)
{
string s = "";
string c;
for(int bit; Number != 0;)

Why would you name an int 'bit' ???!!!
Might as well declare a string and call it 'char'.. ;-)
Maybe 'bit_mask'?

Anyways, I give up. Too hard to follow. Clean it up, and then repost
it; explaining what you want to do, in the first place.

Guest

Thanks, see new post !