recursivly traversing the windows registry

John Taylor

I want to visit each windows registry entry (or at least a large
number of them) and lookup the value for each entry. I want to take a
snapshot of registry entries before and after I install software or
make changes to the system and see what changes were made to it.

My code works some of the time, but other times it does not return any
data for some paths/keys when it appears to have data according to the
regedit.exe program, on Windows XP and Python 2.3. Would someone mind
looking at my code to see what I am doing wrong?

http://www.fcs.uga.edu/~john/reg.py.txt

Thanks,
John Taylor

Mark Hammond

John said:
Would someone mind
looking at my code to see what I am doing wrong?

You might be lucky and find someone with the time, but you may have more
luck if you can be specific about the kinds of data that is missing, and
possibly even an example from a 'standard' part of the registry that
other people are likely to have. Then reduce the sample to the 5 or so
lines needed to *just* demonstrate the specific problem (and you may
even find the problem yourself before you send the post <wink>)

Mark.