Recycling the pool

Oriane

Hello,

I will soon installed a small Ajax Asp.Net "single page" site on a client
site. This page is simply polling a Asp.Net Web service, which fetchs and
returns parameters (temperature, air conditioning status...) to be displayed
on the page. This is implemented with an Ajax Timer control server.

Now this is my first "industrial" web site, and I'm concerned about its
robustness.
Do I need to create a specific pool on IIS 6 for the web service and the
site ?
I'm aware than it is possible to "recycle" a pool. Do I need this ?
If the site/service is down, how can I automaticllay try to restart it ?

Best regards

Anthony Jones

Oriane said:
Hello,

I will soon installed a small Ajax Asp.Net "single page" site on a client
site. This page is simply polling a Asp.Net Web service, which fetchs and
returns parameters (temperature, air conditioning status...) to be displayed
on the page. This is implemented with an Ajax Timer control server.

Now this is my first "industrial" web site, and I'm concerned about its
robustness.
Do I need to create a specific pool on IIS 6 for the web service and the
site ?

You don't 'need' to but its a good idea to isolate your app from others
allowing you to make app pool setting choices applicable to your app.
I'm aware than it is possible to "recycle" a pool. Do I need this ?

Recycling is default on an app pool. For your sort of app regular recycling
after a period of time or after specified number of requests is undesirable
turn those off. You'll want health monitoring on (where the app pools is
pinged to check its still responsive). If you have reason to believe there
is some small leak that might bring the pool down at some point and you have
an 'out-of-hours' window then schedule a re-cycle in that window.
If the site/service is down, how can I automaticllay try to restart it ?

The will the default behaviour. If the app pool crashes subsequent requests
will start a new process.

Oriane

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your answer.

Anthony Jones said:
You don't 'need' to but its a good idea to isolate your app from others
allowing you to make app pool setting choices applicable to your app.
In this URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...46f-e4f5-474b-86c7-5a86e85fa1ff.mspx?mfr=true, I
can see that "The IIS IIS_WPG group account has the minimum permissions and
user privileges that are necessary to start and run a worker process on a
Web server. Application pool identities must be members of this group so the
application pool can register with Http.sys." So if I set a new pool with a
new identity, I suppose that that identity should be in the IIS_WPG pool...

In fact, I'm a bit confused between the identity of the worker process
(which is I think the identity of the pool) and the account
IUSR_ComputerName, which is the account the anonymous user is mapped with.
Above all, I can impersonate the asp.net website in the web.config file...
Is there a document which clears up that matter ?

My question: if I want to access resources on the server from the web site
server code, what account is used ?

Best regards

Another (simple) question: is wwwroot the better directory to install a
intranet web server on a IIS 6.0 w2k3 server ?

Anthony Jones

Oriane said:
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your answer.

[...]

All these different options are there to support a pelthora of different
scenarios. In your case it sounds like you want anonymous access to an
intranet style application.

Which account is used by ASP.NET code to access server resources depend on
whether you have enabled impersonate in the web.config. With impersonate
on it will use the authenticated user for the connection which for anonymous
connections will be the IUSR account. With impersonate off it will the app
pool identity.

My recommendation in this case would be to leave impersonate off and use the
pool identity. Further unless you have some reason to want to protect
resources from other web sites and services running on the server leave the
pool identity at the default NETWORK SERVICE then grant NETWORK SERVICE the
appropriate access to your resources.
Another (simple) question: is wwwroot the better directory to install a
intranet web server on a IIS 6.0 w2k3 server ?

I never use the wwwroot folder. I tend to use a new top level folder
(preferably on a different drive) where all the resources for the site are
placed, one sub-folder of this top level folder will be the root of the web
site.