Red Text on Blue Background

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Augustus, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Augustus

    Augustus Guest

    In that "Help wanted will pay reasonable fee" thread the OP insults somebody
    else's site and then in another reply somebody mentions the OP's site is
    pretty ugly itself.

    So I went to the OP's site and took a look (yeah it is kind of ugly, I will
    agree)

    But my thought is:
    Whenever I see red text or highlights (especially bright red) on a blue
    background it really buggers my eyes (I have trouble maintaining focus and
    automatically look away, needing to concentrate to look at the color combo)
    and gives me a headache after just a few seconds

    I was wondering... is that just me?

    If it wasn't just me and the color combo affected others like it does me,
    then there wouldn't be that many sites that use red on blue... yet there are
    a few sites out there that do use red on blue (I do have a minor color
    blindness, where I see the color green with a very slight blue tint to it...
    so that might be why it does that to me)

    Augustus, Sep 12, 2004

  2. While the city slept, Augustus () feverishly
    typed...

    > In that "Help wanted will pay reasonable fee" thread the OP insults
    > somebody else's site and then in another reply somebody mentions the
    > OP's site is pretty ugly itself.
    >
    > So I went to the OP's site and took a look (yeah it is kind of ugly,
    > I will agree)
    >
    > But my thought is:
    > Whenever I see red text or highlights (especially bright red) on a
    > blue background it really buggers my eyes [...]

    It's not just you. This effect is more apparant with orange instead of red,
    but red will do it too. Blue and Orange are "contrasting colours" - if you
    turn the spectrum (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) into a
    circle with all the colours radiating out from the centre, you will notice
    that orange is opposite blue (and red ain't that far away). A more well
    known one is red and orange - note they are also opposite each other.

    The colours which are next to each other in this circle (red and orange,
    orange and green, violet and red, etc) are "complimentary colours" - this
    doesn't mean they are free ;-) but they "go well with each other".

    It's amazing what I learned when I was a bouncing castle maker!

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Augustus

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:56:35 -0700, "Augustus" <>
    wrote:

    : But my thought is:
    : Whenever I see red text or highlights (especially bright red) on a blue
    : background it really buggers my eyes (I have trouble maintaining focus and
    : automatically look away, needing to concentrate to look at the color combo)
    : and gives me a headache after just a few seconds
    :
    : I was wondering... is that just me?

    No - happens to all sane people.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Augustus

    Jim Higson Guest

    > If it wasn't just me and the color combo affected others like it does me,
    > then there wouldn't be that many sites that use red on blue... yet there
    > are a few sites out there that do use red on blue (I do have a minor color
    > blindness, where I see the color green with a very slight blue tint to
    > it... so that might be why it does that to me)

    These kind of extremes are even worse on a TFT because the distance between
    the R and B sub-pixels makes the border pixels look
    raised/blury/overlapping with each other.

    If you really want to make a TFT look odd, try scrolling around a Red and
    Blue checkerboard pattern!

    Jim Higson, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Sid Ismail <> wrote:
    > No - happens to all sane people.