Redesign, give it me !

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Samuël van Laere, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Well i've done a redesign of a tables site.
    My version isn't perfect, but its a whole lot better then the original, i
    hope anyway.
    Haven't got a clue why i'm here, does anyone know??

    Some bits where left out, its the tought that counts right?
    I'm aware of some isues; enlarging the textsize in the browser
    causes IE to push the containing DIV out, while on Firefox
    the contents of the list disappear under the DIV.
    Ok leave some - nice if possible - remarks if you wish.
    Do you know how to fix some of those isues? Come forward :))

    Original version:
    http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/
    Sam's version:
    http://www.fortron.net/bdwb/

    <drunk>
    I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post :p
    O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
    Right Bruce? ;)
    </drunk>

    Regards,
    Samuel

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Samuël van Laere

    Henry Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > Original version:
    > http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/

    Looks good and works good!

    > Sam's version:
    > http://www.fortron.net/bdwb/

    Just bigger fonts and... I like the first one!

    Smaller fonts and look more polished, mor 'pro'.

    I didn't checked source but... loading speed is close to each other.

    Of course new one is all in css! ;)

    A lot of effort and... no visible results.

    Al least you know how to use css now.

    ;)

    Henry, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Oct 20, 2004
  4. "Mark Parnell" <> wrote:

    > Hmmm...nicely done. A bandwidth saving of around 75% - not taking
    > cacheing into account.
    >
    > Not sure that I like your choice of fonts, especially the first section
    > of the main content.

    I agree with you on the fonts in the content section.
    If i just knew what the original uses, still have to find out.
    I consider it nearly done, just the fonts and thats it for me.
    75% mmm, how do you check for that?

    Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

    Regards,
    Samuël

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 20, 2004
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    :
[...]

    not really a redesign looks like the 1st one but with bigger fonts
    --
    Hung Diep
    http://www.intro-spect.co.uk

    Barefoot Kid, Oct 20, 2004
  6. "Barefoot Kid" <> schreef in bericht

    > not really a redesign looks like the 1st one but with bigger fonts
    > --
    > Hung Diep

    Very true.
    Its not a redesign, its a css over tables design.

    Regards,
    Sam

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Samuël van Laere

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:20:11 GMT, Samuël van Laere <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > I agree with you on the fonts in the content section.
    > If i just knew what the original uses, still have to find out.

    Verdana. *spit*.
    http://www.discriminatiezaken-wb.nl/styles.css

    > 75% mmm, how do you check for that?

    Just looked at the page size for both, and added the size of the CSS
    file to your version. Yours works out to be about 7k, the other is just
    over 27k. That doesn't include images, though - so probably not as high
    a % once you take that into account. But then again, it's probably
    better when you take caching into account, because the images and css
    file will generally only be downloaded the once.

    *Eek!* Just looked at the source for their version. No wonder it is so
    huge. There is a ridiculous amount of Javascript on that page.

    > Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

    I only checked in Moz 1.7 and IE6 (Win2k).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 20, 2004
  8. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 00:20:11 +0000, Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > Probally works fine under (most) Linux/Mac browsers, not checkt though.

    Works fine in my browser -- Moz1.7/Linux

    Except I can't read it at all!

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 20, 2004
  9. While the city slept, Samuël van Laere () feverishly
    typed...
    [...]
    > <drunk>
    > I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post :p
    > O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
    > Right Bruce? ;)
    > </drunk>

    Ooh... you called him "Bruce"... now you're for it! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Oct 20, 2004
  10. Samuël van Laere

    Nik Coughin Guest

    nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Samuël van Laere () feverishly
    > typed...
    > [...]
    >> <drunk>
    >> I'm aware of the critique group, in case one object's with my post
    >> :p O and if you do object go and see Brucie, he will sort ya out
    >> Right Bruce? ;)
    >> </drunk>

    > Ooh... you called him "Bruce"... now you're for it! ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nige

    He might be able to apply for an exemption, on the grounds that as he got it
    right earlier in the post, the latter occurrance was a typo. But he might
    be turned down for the exemption because of his capitalisation.

    Nik Coughin, Oct 20, 2004