    Linux as well?

    Thank you,
    Max
    gmax2006, Jul 13, 2006

  2. gmax2006 wrote:

    > My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
    > What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

    grab the source tarball from python.org, built it according to
    instructions (./configure; make), and install using:

    # make altinstall

    DO NOT do a full install; you'll most likely break RedHat stuff if you
    do that.

    to access the resulting binary, use "python2.4" instead of "python".

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Jul 13, 2006

  3. gmax2006

    gmax2006 Guest

    Fredrik Lundh wrote:
    > DO NOT do a full install; you'll most likely break RedHat stuff if you
    > do that.

    I was expecting an rpm to do the update. This is a sensitive production
    box. I think I should just continue with Python 2.3.

    Regards,
    gmax2006, Jul 13, 2006
  4. gmax2006 wrote:
    > My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
    > What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

    The source tar-ball contains an file Misc/RPM/python-XXX.spec that you can use
    to build an RPM ("rpmbuild -bs" or "rpm -bs"). The resulting package will
    normally be called "python2.4", so if your current installation uses plain
    "python" (rpm -q python), you can install it without any problems with
    backwards compatibility.

    Stefan
    Stefan Behnel, Jul 13, 2006