Redirect function in form not redirecting

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neil Kennedy, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Neil Kennedy

    Neil Kennedy Guest

    Hi all

    Now I have done this before many moons ago, but just cannot, no matter how
    much I tinker, get a form to redirect when sent.

    I have the following, set in a multi column / multi row table:-

    <form method="post" action="mailto:email address (removed)>

    and at the bottom I have
    <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send">
    <input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="redirectfile.html">
    <input type="reset" value="Reset">

    Any idea which bit I may have missed to prevent the form from snding to my
    email (which it does) and then redirecting to another page (which it
    doesn't!).

    Cheers in advance for the help folks

    Neil
    Neil Kennedy, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Kennedy"
    <> writing in

    > Hi all
    >
    > Now I have done this before many moons ago, but just cannot, no matter
    > how much I tinker, get a form to redirect when sent.
    >
    > I have the following, set in a multi column / multi row table:-
    >
    ><form method="post" action="mailto:email address (removed)>

    That in itself is fraught with danger - the biggest one being the user
    has to have an email client to send the form data.

    > and at the bottom I have
    ><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send">
    ><input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="redirectfile.html">

    Okay, so your action is mailto - mailto does not know anything about
    redirection. Server side scripts know how to redirect.

    ><input type="reset" value="Reset">

    Personally, I find those useless if not annoying.

    > Any idea which bit I may have missed to prevent the form from snding
    > to my email (which it does) and then redirecting to another page
    > (which it doesn't!).

    Yes, you need a server side form handling script, eg:
    <form method="post" action="myformhandinglingscript.asp">

    If you are writing the script, you probably don't need to use the
    redirect hidden input element. This that I've seen in third party form
    processing scripts, like http://www.response-o-matic.com/ .

    > Cheers in advance for the help folks

    HTH

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 6, 2007

  3. Neil Kennedy

    Neil Kennedy Guest

    Ta for the reply.

    I am hoping to avoid using scripting, purely and simply because I haven't
    got a clue what I am doing with it! I did set up a simple form on a (very)
    simple page years ago, which didn't use any scripting, and was hoping to
    head off down that path again. Is there any way round this?

    With regards to the users having mail clients - the form is on a site that
    is going to be used by specific people, and I know they all have mail
    clients. As for the Reset button - trust me, it'll be needed :)

    Thanks again

    Neil

    Neil Kennedy, Jul 6, 2007
  4. "Neil Kennedy" <> writes:

    Upside-down. Please don't do that.

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Kennedy"
    >> <> writing in

    >>> and at the bottom I have
    >>><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send">
    >>><input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="redirectfile.html">

    >> Okay, so your action is mailto - mailto does not know anything about
    >> redirection. Server side scripts know how to redirect.

    > I am hoping to avoid using scripting, purely and simply because I haven't
    > got a clue what I am doing with it! I did set up a simple form on a (very)
    > simple page years ago, which didn't use any scripting, and was hoping to
    > head off down that path again. Is there any way round this?

    No, there's not - and if you think redirecting from a mailto: was what you
    were doing years ago, you're misremembering things, because that has *never*
    worked.

    Think about it - a redirect is an HTTP response from a web server. A mailto:
    URL is simply handed off to the email client. How do you expect the browser
    to get a response from a web server, when it never connects to one?

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 6, 2007
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Kennedy"
    <> writing in

    Top posting fixed... don't that again

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Neil Kennedy"
    >> <> writing in
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> Now I have done this before many moons ago, but just cannot, no
    >>> matter how much I tinker, get a form to redirect when sent.
    >>>
    >>> I have the following, set in a multi column / multi row table:-
    >>>
    >>><form method="post" action="mailto:email address (removed)>

    >> That in itself is fraught with danger - the biggest one being the
    >> user has to have an email client to send the form data.
    >>

    >>> and at the bottom I have
    >>><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send">
    >>><input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="redirectfile.html">

    >> Okay, so your action is mailto - mailto does not know anything about
    >> redirection. Server side scripts know how to redirect.
    >>
    >>><input type="reset" value="Reset">

    >> Personally, I find those useless if not annoying.
    >>

    >>> Any idea which bit I may have missed to prevent the form from snding
    >>> to my email (which it does) and then redirecting to another page
    >>> (which it doesn't!).

    >> Yes, you need a server side form handling script, eg:
    >> <form method="post" action="myformhandinglingscript.asp">
    >>
    >> If you are writing the script, you probably don't need to use the
    >> redirect hidden input element. This that I've seen in third party
    >> form processing scripts, like http://www.response-o-matic.com/ .
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > Ta for the reply.
    >
    > I am hoping to avoid using scripting, purely and simply because I
    > haven't got a clue what I am doing with it! I did set up a simple form
    > on a (very) simple page years ago, which didn't use any scripting, and
    > was hoping to head off down that path again. Is there any way round
    > this?

    You probably used a third party application, maybe even Response-o-Matic,
    as noted above. Plain HTML has no way of doing what you need to do, nor
    do email clients.

    > With regards to the users having mail clients - the form is on a site
    > that is going to be used by specific people, and I know they all have
    > mail clients.

    And if that person is at a library, Internet cafe, someone else's
    computer? Doesn't want the email application to pop-up, or doesn't
    understand what's going on? Beleive me, this is not a good thing to do.

    > As for the Reset button - trust me, it'll be needed :)

    One of the terrible things about reset buttons is they reset EVERYTHING.
    Nothing more annoying than filling out a form, hitting the reset button
    by accident, and having to fill the darned thing in all over again.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 6, 2007
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne Boswell <>
    writing in news:Xns996590F646F06arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121:

    > Nothing more annoying than filling out a form, hitting the reset button
    > by accident, and having to fill the darned thing in all over again.

    Okay - One thing more annoying - having a server side script come back with
    a warning that something is missing but does not have what I previously
    filled in avaiable.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jul 6, 2007
  7. Neil Kennedy

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:28:38 GMT Neil Kennedy scribed:

    > Any idea which bit I may have missed to prevent the form from snding
    > to my email (which it does) and then redirecting to another page
    > (which it doesn't!).
    >
    > Cheers in advance for the help folks
    >
    > Neil

    Don't forget, if it wasn't for us parasites, Earth would have lost The War
    of the Worlds!

    --
    Neredbojias

    Q: Do you speak Turkish?