    I am perl illiterate.. :)

    Bijoy

    , Aug 29, 2005

  2. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > I need to write a perl script which manufactures a URL based on certain
    > variables, then redirects to another page..
    >
    > soemthing like this:
    >
    > params = 1,5|1,8|2,10
    > url = "http://mysites.com/myapge.aspx?" + params
    > redirect(url);
    >
    > can someone pls provide me with a snipet of code to do this in perl?
    >
    > I am perl illiterate.. :)

    Are you FAQ illiterate too?

    perldoc -q redirect
    Found in /opt/perl/lib/5.6.1/pod/perlfaq9.pod
    How do I redirect to another page?

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Aug 29, 2005

    oooh sarcasm!

    thx neways.

    , Aug 29, 2005

    wrote:
    > I need to write a perl script which manufactures a URL based on certain
    > variables, then redirects to another page..
    >
    > soemthing like this:
    >
    > params = 1,5|1,8|2,10
    > url = "http://mysites.com/myapge.aspx?" + params
    > redirect(url);
    >
    > can someone pls provide me with a snipet of code to do this in perl?
    >
    > I am perl illiterate.. :)

    If you are Perl illiterate and starting code from scratch, then you should
    choose a different language (one in which you are not illiterate) in which
    to implement this. Or learn Perl from scratch.

    On the other hand, if you are not starting from scratch but rather
    maintaining existing code, then you should tell us something about this
    existing code.

    If you are using CGI.pm, which you almost certainly should be, then read
    about CGI.pm's "redirect" method. In fact, read all of CGI's docs. There
    are plenty of snipets of code therein.

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Aug 29, 2005
  5. Paul Lalli Guest

    wrote:
    > oooh sarcasm!
    >
    > thx neways.

    Please quote some context when composing a reply.

    Please do not use "cutsie", instant-message style spelling.

    Please read the Perl FAQ before posting.

    Please read the comp.lang.perl.misc Posting Guidelines before posting.

    Please *do* show some genuine appreciation at my having pointed you
    *directly to the answer*!

    BAH! And people wonder why the regulars in this group get bent out of
    shape so easily.

    Slowly counting backwards from 100,
    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Aug 29, 2005
  6. A. Sinan Unur, Aug 29, 2005
  7. Scott Bryce Guest

    wrote:

    > oooh sarcasm!

    When you reply that way to a perfectly good answer to your question, you
    come across as stupid.

    > thx neways.

    When you spell that way, you come across as illiterate.

    Assuming I am wrong, try looking here:

    http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlfaq9.html#How-do-I-redirect-to-another-page-

    You are expected to make some attempt at finding the answers on your own
    before you post here.

    http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml

    If after reading the documentation, you still can't figure out the
    answer, please post the code you have tried, and we will help you fix it.

    Scott Bryce, Aug 29, 2005

    Sarcastic idiots like you drive people away from boards

    , Aug 29, 2005
  9. wrote in news:1125346740.242704.181230
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Sarcastic idiots like you drive people away from boards

    This is not a board. This is UseNet.

    Oh, by the way, *PLONK*

    Next?

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Aug 29, 2005

    I didn't realize that this ng is for Perl experts only.. Your initial
    jab at me was unwarranted. What purpose does the following serve?? "Are
    you FAQ illiterate too?".

    A simple, straight forward, to the point answer was more than
    sufficient.. if you find my question or IM style annoying, you didn't
    have to respond.

    , Aug 29, 2005

    A perfectly good answer?? what purpose does this serve?? -> "Are you
    FAQ illiterate too?"

    So everyone who uses an IM style for posting to a forum is illierate?

    Some of you start with expect everyone here to be Perl experts, then
    slam people with limited Perl knowledge.

    , Aug 29, 2005

    A note to newsgroup ``regulars'':

    Do not use these guidelines as a "license to flame" or other
    meanness. It is possible that a poster is unaware of things
    discussed here. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and just
    help them learn how to post, rather than assume

    , Aug 29, 2005
  13. wrote:
    > I didn't realize that this ng is for Perl experts only.. Your initial
    > jab at me was unwarranted. What purpose does the following serve?? "Are
    > you FAQ illiterate too?".

    A wild guess would be that the purpose was to call your attention to the
    posting guidelines for this group.

    > if you find my question or IM style annoying, you didn't
    > have to respond.

    True. Next time Paul probably won't. Neither will a large amount of
    other experienced Perl programmers.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Aug 29, 2005

    A simple "Please check the FAQ's before posting" conveys the same
    message; in a non-confrontational manner.

    , Aug 29, 2005
  15. wrote:
    > A simple "Please check the FAQ's before posting" conveys the same
    > message; in a non-confrontational manner.

    How often would you like the notice "Please check the FAQ's before posting"
    being posted to this NG? At the moment it happens twice weekly. Apparently
    that is not enough, so please let us know which frequency you prefer. I am
    sure Tad can adjust the schedule for the bot easily.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 29, 2005
  16. wrote:
    > Sarcastic idiots like you drive people away from boards

    Whom are you talking to? Would be nice if you would quote some context -as
    has been customary for some 20 years- such that people have a chance to know
    what you are talking about.

    BTW: what board are you talking about?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 29, 2005
  17. wrote:
    > So everyone who uses an IM style for posting to a forum is illierate?

    I don't know. I do know however that people who are using cutesy
    abbreviations are very inconsiderate (or to put it bluntly: plain rude) to
    those, whose first language is not Americanese and therefore are forced to
    read articles with the help of a dictionary.

    > Some of you start with expect everyone here to be Perl experts, then
    > slam people with limited Perl knowledge.

    What does deliberately wrong spelling have to do with Perl expertise?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 29, 2005
  18. Scott Bryce Guest

    wrote:

    > A perfectly good answer?? what purpose does this serve?? -> "Are you
    > FAQ illiterate too?"

    Paul pointed you to the exact place in the Perl FAQ where your question
    was already answered. This NG is not here for the purpose of reading the
    FAQ to people. We expect you to be able to read it yourself. If you took
    the time to read the FAQ, you would have known that his answer was
    perfectly good. In case you weren't familiar with the Perl FAQ (many
    perl newbies on Windows systems aren't) I posted a URL to the
    appropriate place in the FAQ at perldoc.com. You really couldn't get a
    better answer than you already got here.

    > So everyone who uses an IM style for posting to a forum is illierate?

    You misspelled half the words in your post. English is not the first
    language for many of the regulars here. This isn't IM. You are expected
    to use correct English here, if you want to be understood.

    > Some of you start with expect everyone here to be Perl experts, then
    > slam people with limited Perl knowledge.

    No. We are very happy to help people who are just learning. We aren't,
    however, eager to help people who don't show any interest in putting
    forth a little effort to find the answers to their own questions, even
    after being show exactly where to look.

    Your behavior here has been very rude. It is beyond me how people can
    barge in here like they own the place, insult some of the best Perl
    minds in the world, expect us to write their code for them, then
    complain when they can't get help!

    Scott Bryce, Aug 29, 2005

    wrote:
    > Sarcastic idiots like you drive people away from boards

    There are some types of posters whom we desire to drive away from this
    particular "board".

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Aug 29, 2005

    Judging from some of the responses to my question and some others, it
    seem like being arrogant is a pre-requisite to posting on this group.
    what's with all the sarcastic responses?

    "oooh sarcasm" is rude.. but "Are you FAQ illiterate too? " isn't.??

    what about "A wild guess would be that the purpose was to call your
    attention to the
    posting guidelines for this group." Folks can't respond with simple
    sentences?

    "As regards the sarcasm, the OP asked for it".. WTF??? If you find
    some posts to be not response worthy, don't respond.. no need to
    respond in an arrogant/sarcastic manner.

    To give you some background.. my perl knowledge is close to ZERO. I
    asked the question because a colleage of mine is having trouble
    "redirecting" the script to my asp page. I figured we could get a quick
    response by asking the people who deal with perl a lot.. Instead all I
    get is accusations of being rude and a whole lot of sarcasm.

    , Aug 30, 2005