Redirect to another page

xhoster

To give you some background.. my perl knowledge is close to ZERO. I
asked the question because a colleage of mine is having trouble
"redirecting" the script to my asp page. I figured we could get a quick
response by asking the people who deal with perl a lot.. Instead all I
get is accusations of being rude and a whole lot of sarcasm.

Liar liar pants on fire. You got several very helpful answers.
Apparently, you choose to ignore them because they were not delived to you
according to your exacting standards. That doesn't change the fact that
you did get those answers, in addition to sarcasm and (truthful)
accusations.

In the future, perhaps you should hire a Perl consultant. They may or may
not give you better answers than you have gotten here, but they probably
will refrain from exposing you to the harsh truth. Afterall, programming
Perl is fun--putting up with people like you with good grace is why
consultants demand money.

Xho

Scott Bryce

If you find some posts to be not response worthy, don't respond.

You were given 2 very valid answers to your question. Did you
follow the link I posted earlier? If you did, you would have found 2
different ways to do what you want to do.
I asked the question because a colleage of mine is having trouble
"redirecting" the script to my asp page.

Perhaps he should be the one asking the question? If he has very much
perl experience, maybe he would recognize that the answer to your
question has already been posted in this thread at least twice.

I figured we could get a quick response by asking the people who deal
with perl a lot..

You did get a quick response. You got two quick responses telling you
exactly where to look for an answer to your question.

OK, you are Perl illiterate. Perhaps that means that you don't know what
perldoc is. Perhaps Paul's answer didn't make a lot of sense to you.
just do this: tell your friend who is writing the Perl script to look at
this page:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlfaq9.html#How-do-I-redirect-to-another-page-

He will find everything he needs to know about redirects in Perl. If he
still can't make it work, have him trim his code down to the shortest
complete script that demonstrates the problem and post it here. We will
help him fix it.

And please tell him to read the posting guidelines before posting. If he
plays by the rules, he will find the people here very helpful.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

what about "A wild guess would be that the purpose was to call your
attention to the
posting guidelines for this group." Folks can't respond with simple
sentences?

"As regards the sarcasm, the OP asked for it".. WTF??? If you find
some posts to be not response worthy, don't respond.. no need to
respond in an arrogant/sarcastic manner.

I get the feeling that my comments weren't appreciated.

You seemed to believe that you could jump into a group like this and
expect everyone to play by your rules. Now you've hopefully learned that
it doesn't work that way.

Next time you'll maybe find out what the rules are and try to play by
them. I can assure you that doing so will make you a much happier fellow. :)

Anno Siegel

"As regards the sarcasm, the OP asked for it".. WTF??? If you find
some posts to be not response worthy, don't respond.. no need to
respond in an arrogant/sarcastic manner.

You said this before, but you are wrong. As a passer-by you can
afford to ignore annoying posts. As regulars we have a vested
interest in what's going on on the newsgroup, so there is a reason
to let it be known.
To give you some background.. my perl knowledge is close to ZERO. I

You said so in your first posting. Translation: "I don't know
Perl, and I don't want to learn any. Don't bother me with details,
just give me the code I need".

Anno

Tad McClellan

then redirects to another page..

perldoc -q redirect

I am perl illiterate.. :)

That's OK, everybody has to start somewhere.

Being Usenet illiterate when posting to Usenet isn't so OK though.

You should check the Frequently Asked Questions for a newsgroup
before posting to that newsgroup. This expectation is widely
accepted in nearly all newgroups, not just the Perl newsgroup.

If you insist on taking cuts in line, then you should be
expecting to get some grief for it.

[snip] I view a programming language as a place to be
explored, like Disneyland. You don't need to have a lot of preparation
to explore a theme park. You do have to go along with the crowd
control measures, though. In a sense, each ride has its own
prerequisites--if you cut in line, you risk getting tossed out of the
park.

What we have here in this newsgroup is a failure in crowd control.
Reading the FAQ is like staying in line--it's something you should
learn in kindergarten. Usenet needs a better kindergarten.

Matt Garrish

I didn't realize that this ng is for Perl experts only.. Your initial
jab at me was unwarranted. What purpose does the following serve?? "Are
you FAQ illiterate too?".

Welcome to Usenet. I occasionally take offence the posting style of some
people here, but not in this instance. You didn't bother to make the least
bit of effort to answer your own question, and then set yourself up for a
sarcastic response by pretending your ignorance of the language gives you
the right to post a faq question. You are expected to do your own homework
before posting here. If you think this is the place to ask any question that
pops into your head then you better work on toughening up your skin.

Matt

James Taylor

article said:

I couldn't get that link to work for me. In fact I haven't been
able to get anything useful from www.perldoc.com for quite a
while now. This is a real bind because I'm using Perl on a
perldoc-challenged operating system and used to rely heavily on
www.perldoc.com. Does anyone know what's going on?
Is Carlos Ramirez still in business?

Are there any other more reliable sources of perldoc information
on the web? It would be especially useful if they would take the
same options and incantations that people tend to use in this
group so that it is possible to reproduce the same output and
thus follow the discussion.

Paul Lalli

James Taylor wrote:

Are there any other more reliable sources of perldoc information
on the web? It would be especially useful if they would take the
same options and incantations that people tend to use in this
group so that it is possible to reproduce the same output and
thus follow the discussion.

http://www.perl.com/pub/q/documentation

For all:
perldoc perlfoo
try:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perlfoo.pod

Most especially helpful, perhaps:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/perl/pod/perlfaq.pod

Paul Lalli

Scott Bryce

James said:
<[email protected]> Scott Bryce

I couldn't get that link to work for me.

Hhhhmmm.... It was working last night. It doesn't seem to be working now.

In fact I haven't been able to get anything useful from
www.perldoc.com for quite a while now.

That had been my experience for a month or so. I thought it was up and
running again. It had been for a few days. It appears to be down again.

This is a real bind because I'm using Perl on a perldoc-challenged
operating system

Windows? If you installed Activestate Perl, you have the docs in HTML
format.

Jürgen Exner

Scott Bryce wrote:
[...]
Windows? If you installed Activestate Perl, you have the docs in HTML
format.

Why would there be a problem with standard perldoc on Windows?

jue

John Bokma

Scott Bryce said:
Windows? If you installed Activestate Perl, you have the docs in HTML
format.

Works here without any problems, perldoc that is. Only use " instead of '
for queries.

Scott Bryce

Jürgen Exner said:
Why would there be a problem with standard perldoc on Windows?

There isn't really. Perhaps I was wrong to post what I did. The problem
is with the typical Windows user who is not accustomed to typing
commands into the command window, and is more comfortable using a GUI.

Perhaps it is more accurate to call the typical Windows user perldoc
challenged than to call Windows perldoc challenged.

Alan J. Flavell

There isn't really. Perhaps I was wrong to post what I did. The
problem is with the typical Windows user who is not accustomed to
typing commands into the command window, and is more comfortable
using a GUI.

With Activestate Perl, at least, I find that both options work: from
the bog-standard Windows cmd shell, or from the Start> ActivePerl>
Documentation gesture, which I'd have expected any Windows users to
comprehend - so what's the fuss about?

Web access *can* be useful, here on usenet, because we can cite a
public URL to it, and (given a working web server) anyone who browses
that URL will see the same thing; but, relative to a competent Perl
installation, it's otherwise a fallback solution that isn't always
available: when I'm booted into my Windows partition[1], the
documentation on my own disk, courtesy of activeperl, still works
whatever the state of the internet network link may be.

I'm afraid there are all too many lusers who'd like to have the
documentation read out to them, instead of consulting it for
themselves. If they get abusive when resisted, the killfile is their
natural resting place. Unfortunate, but I see no alternative.

best

[1] as opposed to a real OS - but let's not be discriminatory for the
present purpose ;-)

Tad McClellan

James Taylor said:
I'm using Perl on a
perldoc-challenged operating system

I never use perldoc for viewing Perl's documentation, you should be
able to get along fine without it too.

I never use the web for viewing Perl's documentation either.

Are there any other more reliable sources of perldoc information

Find a Perl distribution, just about any one will do, doesn't even
have to be for your OS.

Unpack it.

Find the *.pod text files.

Copy the *.pod files to your hard disk.

grep the content to your heart's content! :)

James Taylor

No, RISC OS actually.
If you installed Activestate Perl, you have the docs in
HTML format.

Well, I've recently discovered http://perldoc.perl.org/ from
which I have been able to download a complete HTML-ised and
locally browsable copy of the docs. Sincere thanks to Jon Allen!

However, this still doesn't offer a way for me, or anyone else in
my situation, to follow the perldoc references so commonly given
in this group as there's no way to translate "perldoc -q whatever"
into the precise document that this command locates.

There are plenty of sites where it is possible to look up
man pages which are converted to HTML on the fly and which have
clickable links to other man pages. It seems to me that we need a
community maintained equivalent of this for perldoc so that this
group can quote links such as:

http://perldoc.com/m?Module::Name
http://perldoc.com/f?function_name
http://perldoc.com/q?whatever+FAQ+entry
etc...

Does anyone think this might be possible?

Paul Lalli

James said:
Well, I've recently discovered http://perldoc.perl.org/ from
which I have been able to download a complete HTML-ised and
locally browsable copy of the docs. Sincere thanks to Jon Allen!

However, this still doesn't offer a way for me, or anyone else in
my situation, to follow the perldoc references so commonly given
in this group as there's no way to translate "perldoc -q whatever"
into the precise document that this command locates.

It's really not that hard to figure out and remember the pattern.
There are four basic styles to a `perldoc` command:
1) a straight manpage:
perldoc perlrun
becomes
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlrun.html

2) a specific function name:
perldoc -f push:
tells you to look at perlfunc, at the section on "push", or on the
specific push page:
http://perldoc.perl/org/perlfunc.html
http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/push.html

3) a keyword from the FAQ:
perldoc -q quoting:
means to look through the overal list of FAQ questions for that
keyword, and then follow the link to the correct FAQ page:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq.html
searching for 'quoting' above takes you to:
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq4.html#What's-wrong-with-always-quoting-"$vars"?

4) a specific module's documentation:
perldoc File::Find
tells you to look at the documentation for Find in the directory File:
http://perldoc.perl.org/File/Find.html

If you can memorize those four basic patterns, you should not have
difficulty following along with the 'normal' way of directing people to
the standard documentation.

James Taylor

James said:
Well, I've recently discovered http://perldoc.perl.org/ from
which I have been able to download a complete HTML-ised and
locally browsable copy of the docs. Sincere thanks to Jon Allen!

However, this still doesn't offer a way for me, or anyone else in
my situation, to follow the perldoc references so commonly given
in this group as there's no way to translate "perldoc -q whatever"
into the precise document that this command locates.

It's really not that hard to figure out and remember the pattern.
There are four basic styles to a `perldoc` command: [snip]

If you can memorize those four basic patterns, you should not have
difficulty following along with the 'normal' way of directing people
to the standard documentation.

Well, if it's as regular as you say, it ought not to be difficult
to write a web form front-end that takes the standard command line
invocation and responds with the corresponding HTTP redirect into
the perldoc.perl.org document set. Is anyone up for this?

Of course, ideally, someone would write a front-end that actually
calls the real perldoc and returns its output. That way people
could reference it like http://perl.com/perldoc?-q+whatever
and discuss any unexpected or quirky responses that perldoc
itself was giving. What do you think? Is anyone up for that?

Simon Taylor

G'day James,
Well, if it's as regular as you say, it ought not to be difficult
to write a web form front-end that takes the standard command line
invocation and responds with the corresponding HTTP redirect into
the perldoc.perl.org document set. Is anyone up for this?

Of course, ideally, someone would write a front-end that actually
calls the real perldoc and returns its output. That way people
could reference it like http://perl.com/perldoc?-q+whatever
and discuss any unexpected or quirky responses that perldoc
itself was giving. What do you think? Is anyone up for that?

Actually, a project to provide this is already underway. See:

http://pod-indexing.annocpan.org/wiki/index.cgi

Regards,

Simon Taylor