    My question concerns meta-tag.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jacek

    kolesdz, Aug 17, 2007

  2. kolesdz wrote:
    > My question concerns meta-tag.

    cool!

    > Thanks in advance.

    you're welcome

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 17, 2007

  3. Scripsit kolesdz:

    > My question concerns meta-tag.

    Please ask the question in the message body, as clearly as possible. No not
    refer to the Subject line or imply its content in the body. ObHTML: The same
    applies in HTML authoring: <title> is necessary, <h1> is almost always
    essential, but neither of them should be referred to or implied in the rest
    of the content.

    So you apparently want to "Redirect to link nr 2 if link nr 1 is not
    working". This is not possible using <meta> tags, or any HTML tags.

    The conclusion is that you should probably put two (or even more) alternate
    links on your page, if you expect that the first one might fail often. This
    is quite simple - and sites that offer software for download often use such
    a tactics, perhaps offering the user a fairly large list of links that all
    do the same thing (when they work). But two, or maybe three, should normally
    be enough.

    Server-side, you could implement auto-redirect in a sense. Your <a
    href="..."> would then use a URL that invokes a server-side script, which
    accesses a URL where the content resides, and sends it to the client; but if
    the operation fails, it could access an alternative URL, etc. However,
    there's not much point in this, as a rule. It fails when the system where
    the script resides is not available. And if you trust that system so much
    that this does not matter, why don't you put the content proper on that
    system and use simple URLs to it?

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 17, 2007
  4. kolesdz

    kolesdz Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit kolesdz:
    >
    >> My question concerns meta-tag.

    > Please ask the question in the message body, as clearly as possible. No
    > not refer to the Subject line or imply its content in the body. ObHTML:
    > The same applies in HTML authoring: <title> is necessary, <h1> is almost
    > always essential, but neither of them should be referred to or implied
    > in the rest of the content.
    >
    > So you apparently want to "Redirect to link nr 2 if link nr 1 is not
    > working". This is not possible using <meta> tags, or any HTML tags.
    >
    > The conclusion is that you should probably put two (or even more)
    > alternate links on your page, if you expect that the first one might
    > fail often. This is quite simple - and sites that offer software for
    > download often use such a tactics, perhaps offering the user a fairly
    > large list of links that all do the same thing (when they work). But
    > two, or maybe three, should normally be enough.
    >
    > Server-side, you could implement auto-redirect in a sense. Your <a
    > href="..."> would then use a URL that invokes a server-side script,
    > which accesses a URL where the content resides, and sends it to the
    > client; but if the operation fails, it could access an alternative URL,
    > etc. However, there's not much point in this, as a rule. It fails when
    > the system where the script resides is not available. And if you trust
    > that system so much that this does not matter, why don't you put the
    > content proper on that system and use simple URLs to it?

    Very good idea. You solved my problem. Thanks Jukka.
    Yes, I have access to server I can trust.
    Jack

    kolesdz, Aug 17, 2007
  5. kolesdz

    kolesdz Guest

    kolesdz wrote:
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> Scripsit kolesdz:
    >>
    >>> My question concerns meta-tag.

    >> Please ask the question in the message body, as clearly as possible.
    >> No not refer to the Subject line or imply its content in the body.
    >> ObHTML: The same applies in HTML authoring: <title> is necessary, <h1>
    >> is almost always essential, but neither of them should be referred to
    >> or implied in the rest of the content.
    >>
    >> So you apparently want to "Redirect to link nr 2 if link nr 1 is not
    >> working". This is not possible using <meta> tags, or any HTML tags.
    >>
    >> The conclusion is that you should probably put two (or even more)
    >> alternate links on your page, if you expect that the first one might
    >> fail often. This is quite simple - and sites that offer software for
    >> download often use such a tactics, perhaps offering the user a fairly
    >> large list of links that all do the same thing (when they work). But
    >> two, or maybe three, should normally be enough.
    >>
    >> Server-side, you could implement auto-redirect in a sense. Your <a
    >> href="..."> would then use a URL that invokes a server-side script,
    >> which accesses a URL where the content resides, and sends it to the
    >> client; but if the operation fails, it could access an alternative
    >> URL, etc. However, there's not much point in this, as a rule. It fails
    >> when the system where the script resides is not available. And if you
    >> trust that system so much that this does not matter, why don't you put
    >> the content proper on that system and use simple URLs to it?
    >>

    > Very good idea. You solved my problem. Thanks Jukka.
    > Yes, I have access to server I can trust.
    > Jack

    ....but I can put no more than 1k contents there.

    kolesdz, Aug 17, 2007
  6. kolesdz wrote:
    > kolesdz wrote:
    >>>

    >> Very good idea. You solved my problem. Thanks Jukka.
    >> Yes, I have access to server I can trust.
    >> Jack

    > ...but I can put no more than 1k contents there.

    so it is not really a 'server'? Are you telling us, that you have access
    to a server that can only keep 1024 Bytes of information? Sounds fishy
    to me, or maybe it's a very special server? Some sort of embedded
    system? I am really curious what you are trying to achieve...

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 18, 2007
  7. While the city slept, Bernhard Sturm () feverishly
    typed...

    [...]
    > Are you telling us, that you have
    > access to a server that can only keep 1024 Bytes of information?

    [...]

    Well, that's about all my first ever computer (Sinclair ZX81) was able to
    store in memory, and that worked pretty well... of course it was pretty
    limited in terms of graphics (64 x 42 pixels if memory serves me well),
    colour (none, although I did tell people it had 4 colours - black, white and
    2 shades of grey ;-) ), sound (none - although it was strangely possible to
    get sound from it), and... well, the text wasn't that good either!

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Aug 20, 2007
  8. nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Bernhard Sturm () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    > [...]
    >> Are you telling us, that you have
    >> access to a server that can only keep 1024 Bytes of information?

    > [...]
    >
    > Well, that's about all my first ever computer (Sinclair ZX81) was able to
    > store in memory, and that worked pretty well... of course it was pretty
    > limited in terms of graphics (64 x 42 pixels if memory serves me well),
    > colour (none, although I did tell people it had 4 colours - black, white and
    > 2 shades of grey ;-) ), sound (none - although it was strangely possible to
    > get sound from it), and... well, the text wasn't that good either!

    And hey, how 'bout that little membrane keyboard, eh? :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 21, 2007
  9. While the city slept, Blinky the Shark () feverishly
    typed...

    > nice.guy.nige wrote:

    [ZX81 stuff]

    > And hey, how 'bout that little membrane keyboard, eh? :)

    Oh yes... lol! I had hours of fun prodding that membrane! Who'd have thought
    that the Spectrum - with a keyboard that seemed to be made out of recycled
    pencil erasers - would be considered "progress"??? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Aug 21, 2007
  10. nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Blinky the Shark () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    >> nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > [ZX81 stuff]
    >
    >> And hey, how 'bout that little membrane keyboard, eh? :)

    > Oh yes... lol! I had hours of fun prodding that membrane! Who'd have thought
    > that the Spectrum - with a keyboard that seemed to be made out of recycled
    > pencil erasers - would be considered "progress"??? ;-)

    With my Sinclair I wrote a Monopoly piece-movement sim that played very
    long games, to determine the most-hit squares on the board. Yes, it
    included the two decks of cards, because of the squares that made you
    draw one and the fact that some of the cards directed game piece
    movement. It also rolled for doubles up to three times while the piece
    was in jail trying to get out, and so on.

    And, of course, a Battleship game. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2007