Redirect to MPEG gets garbage in IE6 +WinXP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by SiteTamer, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. SiteTamer

    SiteTamer Guest

    I have a script that redirects to a file for downloading. Everything works
    fine EXCEPT:
    if the target of the redirect is type video/mpeg (extension .mpeg or .mpg),
    instead of prompting for download or open, IE opens a new browser window and
    displays garbage. I've only been able to reproduce the behavior in IE 6
    running on Windows XP Professional. Everything works fine in Win2k Pro and
    Win2K Server (only systems tested so far).

    For an example of the exact behavior, visit this address
    http://kimmershow.com/Links--and--Downloads.html and click the "Chick Cops"
    download near the "movies audio and more" section of the page (Don't worry,
    it's clean)

    under windows xp and IE6, you'll probably get garbage. However, if you open
    a fresh browser and go directly to the address of the link you are clicking
    (http://kimmershow.com/SupportFiles/Scripts/FileTamer.asp?FileID=2367) the
    file opens as it should.

    The behavior only occurs when clicking the link that navigates to the
    script, and then redirects to the file. I've also only observed the behavior
    with mpeg files. All others play normally.

    I'm using a simple response.redirect in the script.

    I'm guessing that this is a bug in IE6 and WinXP, not IIS, but I'm not sure.
    I'm open to suggestions, including a more appropriate group for this question.

    I can provide more detail if needed...

    TIA

    SiteTamer, Aug 2, 2005