    the FTP site, so I am providing them from within the web site.

    What can be preventing the response.redirect from handling non-anonymous FTP
    access? Is there a better way to do this?
    Ron Howard, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Ron Howard

    Carol Guest

    maybe send them to a frames page, with one of the frames being the FTP URL
    I love the old Andy Griffith shows

    "Ron Howard" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to use the following in an ASP page to redirect a user to a
    > non-anonymous FTP site:
    >
    > response.redirect("ftp://myusername:")
    >
    > but I keep getting a "permission denied" error. If I just put the same
    > address string in IE6's Address box and go to it, IE opens myusername's

    FTP
    > home page just fine, so I know the FTP site is working as expected. Also,
    > if I put in an anonymous ftp site, without the username and password (e.g.
    > "ftp://ftp.microsoft.com"), the redirect works fine, too.
    >
    > I don't want the user to be prompted by IE for the username and password

    at

    Carol, Jul 30, 2004

  3. Ron Howard

    Ron Howard Guest

    Further findings:

    If I redirect to a login/password-protected ftp site at a different hosting
    service, the response.redirect works OK. The ftp site I have been trying to
    redirect to is hosted on the same site as the web/ASP site, which uses IIS
    6.0. I am using IE6 (lastest updates) to test the ASP code.

    Also, it works as expected (i.e. redirected to the IIS 6.0 server's secure
    ftp site) while testing with a Mozilla browser under Fedora Linux.

    The response.redirect failure seems to have something to do with the
    combination of IIS 6.0 and IE6, and the fact that the ftp site is on the
    same web server as the ASP script. Any ideas? Is there some IIS
    configuration hint I can pass along to the web host service provider?

    - Ron
    Ron Howard, Aug 11, 2004