Redirect to unc path folders fails when "Show HTTP Friendly Error Messages" checkbox is checked for

Praveen Bengeri

Hi All
I am seeing this weird problem wherein a Response.Redirect to a unc path (say for ex: "\\someserver\share") fails (doesn't load, throws standard dns error page) when "Show HTTP Friendly Error Messages" checkbox is checked in Internet Explorer
i.e. say i have a simple asp page redirect.asp with the following statement
<%Response.Redirect("\\someserver\share")%
If I browse to this page, I get the standard "Page can not be displayed" error (dnserror.htm)

but, If I uncheck the "Show HTTP Friendly Error Messages" the check box I can see the shared folder(it starts working)

Any ideas as to what is happeneing
Is this some known issue/bug with Internet Explorer or IIS
Is there a workaround for this problem

Thanks in advance

Regards
Praveen

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Praveen Bengeri said:
Hi All,
I am seeing this weird problem wherein a Response.Redirect to a unc path
(say for ex: "\\someserver\share") fails (doesn't load,

Please don't multi-post. Answered in .iis ...