    Invader Zim Guest

    What html code do I use to redirect from one .htm page to another in say, 5
    seconds(is it meta-refresh)?

    Invader Zim, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Invader Zim wrote:
    > What html code do I use to redirect from one .htm page to another in say, 5
    > seconds(is it meta-refresh)?

    You can do that.
    Prefer doing server-side with .htaccess like:
    Redirect Permanent /page.html url

    Or server-side script (if your hosting support php/asp).
    See http://members.chello.nl/e.vandervaart/semi-conductor/#redirect for
    some example.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Invader Zim

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:36:13 +1000, Invader Zim wrote:

    > What html code do I use to redirect from one .htm page to another in say, 5
    > seconds(is it meta-refresh)?

    Google prefers 301 Redirects to META Refresh.

    Here is what the alt.internet.search-engines FAQ has to say:
    (Source: http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/301-redirect.shtml)

    How do I create a 301 Redirect?
    -------------------------------

    301 Redirects can be created in most web server software. The process to
    create 301 redirects differs for each web server.

    Configuring 301 Redirects in Apache
    -----------------------------------

    Configuring 301 Redirects in Apache is a two step process, configuring
    httpd.conf and creating .htaccess.

    Configuring httpd.conf to Enable a 301 Redirect
    The first step is to edit your httpd.conf file to allow 301 Redirects.

    This is done with Apache's Allow Override directive.

    Find the line in your httpd.conf file which contains the AllowOverride
    directive.

    Edit this line by adding the "All" option to the end.

    Example:

    AllowOverride All

    Save the file and restart Apache to make the configuration change take
    effect.

    Creating a .htaccess File to Configure a 301 Redirect

    The next step is to actually create your .htaccess file.

    The .htaccess file should be in the DocumentRoot directory for your web
    site.

    The .htaccess file contains two columns. The first column is what you want
    redirected and the second column is where you want it redirected to.

    For example, to redirect an entire web site to another site:

    Redirect 301 / http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/

    Or, to redirect just one page to another page:

    Redirect 301 /old-page.shtml
    http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/new-page.shtml

    Other Redirects
    ---------------

    There are redirects other than 301, although they are less frequently
    utilized.

    Redirect types are defined in RFC 2616: Hypertext Transfer Protocol --
    HTTP/1.1.

    Other redirect types include:

    Numeric Code Name Meaning
    301 Permanent The resource has permanently moved
    302 Temp The resource has temporarily moved
    303 Seeother The resource has been replaced

    Configuring 301 Redirects in Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)

    Instructions for creating a 301 redirect in Microsoft IIS are available at
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 313074 - HOW TO: Redirect Browser
    Requests in Internet Information Services 5.0.

    If you do not have Administrative access to the IIS server, you can still
    create a 301 Redirect by following the instructions at ASP Tips - 301
    Moved Permanently - Redirecting URLs with ASP.

    --
    Will
    Webmaster: http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com

    Will Spencer, Jul 24, 2004