    to the new with a 301.
    Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.
    TIA

    T.J., Oct 14, 2003

  2. T.J. wrote:

    > I have just changed the names of some pages, and have been advised to
    > redirect from the old name to the new with a 301.
    > Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

    Depends on your webserver software. Best bet is to consult the manual for
    it. (If its apache, look up the 'redirect' directive).

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Oct 14, 2003

  3. T.J.

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmhoht$ls6$>
    T.J. said...

    > I have just changed the names of some pages, and
    > have been advised to redirect from the old name
    > to the new with a 301.
    > Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

    assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:

    RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html

    [1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
    create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
    notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

    --
    brucie.
    15/October/2003 08:13:17 am

    brucie, Oct 14, 2003
  4. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message news:1e7pzsc3rmvkj$...
    > In post <bmhoht$ls6$>
    > T.J. said...
    >
    > > I have just changed the names of some pages, and
    > > have been advised to redirect from the old name
    > > to the new with a 301.
    > > Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

    > assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:
    >
    > RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
    >
    > [1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
    > create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
    > notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

    Thank you,
    I used
    redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
    is this OK?
    Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
    will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?

    T.J., Oct 14, 2003
  5. T.J.

    T.J. Guest

    > > In post <bmhoht$ls6$>
    > > T.J. said...
    > >
    > > > I have just changed the names of some pages, and
    > > > have been advised to redirect from the old name
    > > > to the new with a 301.
    > > > Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

    > > assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:
    > >
    > > RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
    > >
    > > [1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
    > > create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
    > > notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"
    > >

    > Thank you,
    > I used
    > redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
    > is this OK?
    > Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
    > will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?

    Sorry, one more question.
    I have renamed about half a dozen pages,
    do I put them all in the same .htaccess file?

    T.J., Oct 14, 2003
  6. T.J.

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmht72$8cm$>
    T.J. said...

    > I used redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html is
    > this OK?

    fine

    > Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
    > will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?

    no idea

    --
    brucie.
    15/October/2003 08:32:04 am

    brucie, Oct 14, 2003
  7. T.J.

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmhtd0$mf2$>
    T.J. said...

    >> redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html

    > I have renamed about half a dozen pages,
    > do I put them all in the same .htaccess file?

    yes

    --
    brucie.
    15/October/2003 08:34:28 am

    brucie, Oct 14, 2003
  8. T.J.

    Wipkip Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > In post <bmht72$8cm$>
    > T.J. said...
    >
    >> I used redirect 301 /oldpage.html
    >> http://www.example.com/newpage.html is this OK?

    > fine
    >
    >> Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
    >> will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?

    > no idea

    Mine didn't. :(

    --
    Duende