Redirecting 301?

T.J.

I have just changed the names of some pages, and
have been advised to redirect from the old name
to the new with a 301.
Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.
TIA

David Dorward

T.J. said:
I have just changed the names of some pages, and have been advised to
redirect from the old name to the new with a 301.
Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

Depends on your webserver software. Best bet is to consult the manual for
it. (If its apache, look up the 'redirect' directive).

brucie

I have just changed the names of some pages, and
have been advised to redirect from the old name
to the new with a 301.
Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:

RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html

[1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"

T.J.

brucie said:
I have just changed the names of some pages, and
have been advised to redirect from the old name
to the new with a 301.
Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:

RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html

[1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"
Thank you,
I used
redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
is this OK?
Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?

T.J.

T.J. said:
I have just changed the names of some pages, and
have been advised to redirect from the old name
to the new with a 301.
Any advice how to do it would be appreciated.

assuming apache stick the below in a .htaccess file[1]:

RedirectPermanent /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html

[1] a .htaccess file is a plain text file named as shown. if you
create the file with notepad save the file with quotes to prevent
notepad from adding a .txt extension i.e: ".htaccess"
Thank you,
I used
redirect 301 /oldpage.html http://www.example.com/newpage.html
is this OK?
Also, my old page had a Google PR of 4, the new page is greyed out
will the new page go straight to 4 on the next crawl?
Sorry, one more question.
I have renamed about half a dozen pages,
do I put them all in the same .htaccess file?