Redirecting a 404 error

Corona

I have an ASP.NET page on a local server. On an internet website I have a
page that redirects to the local page.

The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind a
firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the net
and gets my public address. It compares the public address to see if it's
changed since the last time it was checked. If it changed the app generates
an HTML redirection page with the new IP address and uploads it to the
internet site.

What I want to be able to do is change the behavior of the redirection page
so that it asks the user to try again in a few minutes instead of giving a
404 page not found error. Is that possible in HTML? I don't want to resort
to server side scripts for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure what
capabilites the site supports and 2nd, I just don't want to learn another
damn language if I can help it... :)

Joker7

:
[...]
:Take a look here:
http://www.tastypopsicle.com/404.asp

Cheers
Chris

kick-butt.co.uk

Corona

Thanks Joker. That's an interesting page but it doesn't solve my problem.

The site that needs to generate a custom page doesn't support ASP or
ASP.NET... It claims to support cgi but I haven't been able to get that to
work yet so I stuck with HTML and JavaScript.

Andy Dingley

The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind a
firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the net
and gets my public address.

This is a DNS issue. If you can't fix it that way, then do it by
server-side scripting. You can't fix it with HTML.

In general, dump a M$oft OS for this sort of task and put a Unix box
somewhere visible. M$oft's IP-level tools are rubbish.

Corona

Andy Dingley said:
This is a DNS issue. If you can't fix it that way, then do it by
server-side scripting. You can't fix it with HTML.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here... The problem is not in finding
my public IP. It's replacing the 404 page with a "Temporarily not available"
page when the site can't find my dynamic IP.
In general, dump a M$oft OS for this sort of task and put a Unix box
somewhere visible. M$oft's IP-level tools are rubbish.

Well, as far as that goes, I like MS and ASP.NET. I don't see the draw for
Linux and the like...

GuyBrush Treepwood

[...]

Is it an apache webserver? Then you can put a .htaccess file in the top
directory, with the error redirection.

Corona

GuyBrush Treepwood said:
Is it an apache webserver? Then you can put a .htaccess file in the top
directory, with the error redirection.

Thanks. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm planning on trying that.