    to server side scripts for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure what
    capabilites the site supports and 2nd, I just don't want to learn another
    damn language if I can help it... :)
    Corona, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Corona

    Joker7 Guest

    "Corona" <> wrote in message
    news:h0Eue.4559$...
    :I have an ASP.NET page on a local server. On an internet website I have a
    : page that redirects to the local page.
    :
    : The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind
    : firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the
    net
    : and gets my public address. It compares the public address to see if it's
    : changed since the last time it was checked. If it changed the app
    generates
    : an HTML redirection page with the new IP address and uploads it to the
    : internet site.
    :
    : What I want to be able to do is change the behavior of the redirection
    page
    : so that it asks the user to try again in a few minutes instead of giving a
    : 404 page not found error. Is that possible in HTML? I don't want to resort
    : to server side scripts for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure what
    : capabilites the site supports and 2nd, I just don't want to learn another
    : damn language if I can help it... :)
    :
    :Take a look here:
    http://www.tastypopsicle.com/404.asp

    Cheers
    Chris

    kick-butt.co.uk
    Joker7, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Corona

    Corona Guest

    Thanks Joker. That's an interesting page but it doesn't solve my problem.

    The site that needs to generate a custom page doesn't support ASP or
    ASP.NET... It claims to support cgi but I haven't been able to get that to
    work yet so I stuck with HTML and JavaScript.

    Corona, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Corona

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:25:01 GMT, "Corona"
    <> wrote:

    >The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind a
    >firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the net
    >and gets my public address.

    This is a DNS issue. If you can't fix it that way, then do it by
    server-side scripting. You can't fix it with HTML.

    In general, dump a M$oft OS for this sort of task and put a Unix box
    somewhere visible. M$oft's IP-level tools are rubbish.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Corona

    Corona Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:25:01 GMT, "Corona"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind
    >>firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the
    >>net
    >>and gets my public address.

    > This is a DNS issue. If you can't fix it that way, then do it by
    > server-side scripting. You can't fix it with HTML.

    I'm not sure what you're talking about here... The problem is not in finding
    my public IP. It's replacing the 404 page with a "Temporarily not available"
    page when the site can't find my dynamic IP.

    > In general, dump a M$oft OS for this sort of task and put a Unix box
    > somewhere visible. M$oft's IP-level tools are rubbish.

    Well, as far as that goes, I like MS and ASP.NET. I don't see the draw for
    Linux and the like...
    Corona, Jun 24, 2005
  6. On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:25:01 +0000, Corona wrote:

    > I have an ASP.NET page on a local server. On an internet website I have a
    > page that redirects to the local page.
    >
    > The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind a
    > firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the net
    > and gets my public address. It compares the public address to see if it's
    > changed since the last time it was checked. If it changed the app generates
    > an HTML redirection page with the new IP address and uploads it to the
    > internet site.
    >
    > What I want to be able to do is change the behavior of the redirection page
    > so that it asks the user to try again in a few minutes instead of giving a
    > 404 page not found error. Is that possible in HTML? I don't want to resort
    > to server side scripts for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure what
    > capabilites the site supports and 2nd, I just don't want to learn another
    > damn language if I can help it... :)

    Is it an apache webserver? Then you can put a .htaccess file in the top
    directory, with the error redirection.

    --
    "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
    you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
    GuyBrush Treepwood, Jun 25, 2005
  7. Corona

    Corona Guest

    "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:25:01 +0000, Corona wrote:
    >
    >> I have an ASP.NET page on a local server. On an internet website I have a
    >> page that redirects to the local page.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the local page has a dynamic IP address and is behind
    >> firewall. So, I wrote an application that periodotically goes out on the
    >> net
    >> and gets my public address. It compares the public address to see if it's
    >> changed since the last time it was checked. If it changed the app
    >> generates
    >> an HTML redirection page with the new IP address and uploads it to the
    >> internet site.
    >>
    >> What I want to be able to do is change the behavior of the redirection
    >> page
    >> so that it asks the user to try again in a few minutes instead of giving
    >> 404 page not found error. Is that possible in HTML? I don't want to
    >> resort
    >> to server side scripts for a couple of reasons. I'm not sure what
    >> capabilites the site supports and 2nd, I just don't want to learn another
    >> damn language if I can help it... :)

    > Is it an apache webserver? Then you can put a .htaccess file in the top
    > directory, with the error redirection.

    Thanks. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm planning on trying that.
    Corona, Jun 26, 2005