Redirecting anon users - Forms or Windows Authentication

A

ar

I have an Intranet site that I'm trying to work out some authentication issues on. Eventually, I want all of our domain users to add the url for the site into their 'Local Intranet' zone in IE so I can read their domain username automatically(using User.Identity.Name) when they hit the site w/out prompting for a login. I have turned off anonymous access on the site, and have added the domain to the Local Intranet zone on my machine, and it works fine.

If a user has not added the domain into their Local Intranet zone in IE, then IIS sees them as trying to connect with the IUSR_machinename account, and rejects it since anonymous access is turned off. They then get prompted for their username and password with the windows login pop-up box.

What I want to do is instead of prompt them for a username/password, I want to redirect them to a page instructing them on how to add the domain to their Local Intranet zone in IE and allow them to login via a form.

I need to give users access to the site based on their windows username, so I had initially used 'windows' authentication in web.config. Can I use forms authentication too so I can redirect them to a custom logon screen and not just show them the generic windows login window? I'm sorry if my question is basic...still trying to learn how .NET authentication works..

Thanks in advance.

C

chrisrock

Yes.

Enable anonymous access again in IIS.

In your web config replace the authentication element with this one..

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="Application.CookieName"
loginUrl="Login.aspx"
path="/" protection="All" timeout="30">
</forms>
</authentication>

Then replace your
<authorization> tag with:
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

Couple of notes.
1. You have to create the login.aspx. This can show the information that you want.
2. The ? in the deny element disallows anonymous access to the application.

Ask a Question