Redirecting CPP and LINK32 in MSDEV 6.0 to another compiler.

Shawn Campbell

Here's my situation!

I'm automating the building of Visual Studio projects/workspaces
running MSDEV from the command line like:

MSDEV.EXE foobar.dsw /MAKE "Config1 - Win32 Release" /USEENV

This works fine, but now I want to introduce BoundChecker into the
picture and build using their NMCL.EXE and NMLINK.EXE in place of the
CL.EXE and LINK.EXE that comes with Visual Studio 6.0.

Compuware support states that it needs to be done by exporting the
projects to makefiles and then using NMAKE passing in CPP=NMCL.EXE and
LINK32=NMLINK.EXE. Or to build using MSDEV and workspaces I need to
create macros that invoke the BoundsChecker build methods from the
macros. Either solution is not desireable in my case.

Seeing that all I really need to do is trick MSDEV into building with
NMCL.EXE and NMLINK.EXE, is there any way I can refine the CPP and
LINK32 macros that MSDEV uses? I noticed under REGEDIT that these
macros are defined and I tried changing them to point to NMCL.EXE and
NMLINK.EXE, but this did not seem to work. It tried using NMCL.EXE,
but gave me an error trying to compile with it. Maybe I missed some
other reg key, but I was hoping that would work. I also tried
renaming NMCL.EXE to CL.EXE and placing a copy in the bin folder, but
this did not work either.

Thanks for any help!

-Shawn Campbell

Victor Bazarov

Shawn said:
Here's my situation!

I'm automating the building of Visual Studio projects/workspaces
running MSDEV from the command line like:
[...]

Wrong newsgroup. Try microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

Victor