Redirecting CPP and LINK32 in MSDEV 6.0 to another compiler.

Discussion in 'C++' started by Shawn Campbell, May 21, 2004.

  1. Here's my situation!

    I'm automating the building of Visual Studio projects/workspaces
    running MSDEV from the command line like:

    MSDEV.EXE foobar.dsw /MAKE "Config1 - Win32 Release" /USEENV

    This works fine, but now I want to introduce BoundChecker into the
    picture and build using their NMCL.EXE and NMLINK.EXE in place of the
    CL.EXE and LINK.EXE that comes with Visual Studio 6.0.

    Compuware support states that it needs to be done by exporting the
    projects to makefiles and then using NMAKE passing in CPP=NMCL.EXE and
    LINK32=NMLINK.EXE. Or to build using MSDEV and workspaces I need to
    create macros that invoke the BoundsChecker build methods from the
    macros. Either solution is not desireable in my case.

    Seeing that all I really need to do is trick MSDEV into building with
    NMCL.EXE and NMLINK.EXE, is there any way I can refine the CPP and
    LINK32 macros that MSDEV uses? I noticed under REGEDIT that these
    macros are defined and I tried changing them to point to NMCL.EXE and
    NMLINK.EXE, but this did not seem to work. It tried using NMCL.EXE,
    but gave me an error trying to compile with it. Maybe I missed some
    other reg key, but I was hoping that would work. I also tried
    renaming NMCL.EXE to CL.EXE and placing a copy in the bin folder, but
    this did not work either.

    Thanks for any help!

    -Shawn Campbell

    Shawn Campbell, May 21, 2004

  2. Shawn Campbell wrote:
    > Here's my situation!
    >
    > I'm automating the building of Visual Studio projects/workspaces
    > running MSDEV from the command line like:
    > [...]

    Wrong newsgroup. Try microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, May 21, 2004