Redirecting from web page to local folder?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Nicolae Fieraru, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. Hi All,
    I do some web design on an XP system and I intend to make a navigation
    system based on a browser interface.
    I created a home page on my local IIS and I see the page in IE. What I would
    like to do is to have a link which will open the location not in a browser,
    but as a folder.

    I can do that if I place a html file called "swap.htm" with this content:

    But I have to click myself first on swap.htm and then on the "View as
    folder" link
    I was trying to use an asp page called "swap.asp" and when I click on it, to
    redirect me to file:///C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebs\_Reference
    The content of "swap.asp" is
    <%
    response.redirect("file:///C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebs\_Reference")
    %>

    However, it gives me an error (the page cannot be displayed)
    Any ideas if there is a workaround this?

    Regards,
    Nicolae

    Nicolae Fieraru, Aug 24, 2003

  2. You cannot redirect users using the file:// string. Since final code is
    processed client side it will attempt to redirect the user to that
    folder locally.

    I would setup directory browsing on the folder and redirect to it that
    way.

    Although that doesn't allow users to tranfere files back to the server
    you can use FTP for that.

    hth,
    Andrew

    * * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
    Developer Resources for High End Developers.

    Andrew J Durstewitz, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Thank you Andrew,

    The code for personal use and it is meant only to run on my local
    computer...
    Because I modify very often some of the web pages I have in IIS, I
    would like to be able to click on a link and to have their folder
    open, so I can edit it with my editor program

    Regards,
    Nicolae

    Nicolae Fieraru, Sep 3, 2003