Redirecting HTTP request

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by arc, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. arc

    arc Guest

    Here's my requirement:

    When a desktop application (smart client) makes a request to our ASP.NET
    server, the request has to be redirected to a 3rd party provider.

    AND

    Option A - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the information
    back to the smart client directly
    OR
    Option B - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the information
    back to our server which in turn is sent back to the smart client.

    If its Option A, I believe we have to manipulate the HTTP request so that
    the 3rd party provider understands the information would be sent to the
    smart client instead of giving it back to our server. Can we use something
    like HTTPHandler or HTTPModule to do this? How exactly?

    If its Option B, I believe we have to maintain the session as it arrives
    from the client and be able to deliver back to the client when 3rd party
    provider responds.
    Is it possible to maintain the long standing session in IIS while the
    request is re-directed? How to do it?

    Greatly appreciate your inputs!

    Thanks
    Arc

    arc, Feb 2, 2005

  2. arc

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    arc wrote:

    > Here's my requirement:
    >
    > When a desktop application (smart client) makes a request to our
    > ASP.NET server, the request has to be redirected to a 3rd party
    > provider.
    >
    > AND
    >
    > Option A - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the
    > information back to the smart client directly
    > OR
    > Option B - The 3rd party provider should be able to deliver the
    > information back to our server which in turn is sent back to the
    > smart client.
    >
    > If its Option A, I believe we have to manipulate the HTTP request so
    > that the 3rd party provider understands the information would be sent
    > to the smart client instead of giving it back to our server. Can we
    > use something like HTTPHandler or HTTPModule to do this? How exactly?

    No. A redirect informs the client to look for the requested resource
    somewhere else. Thus, the client knows to ask the 3rd party site if
    redirected.

    Client --GET--> YourSite
    Client <--302-- YourSite
    Client --GET--> 3rdParty
    Client <--200-- 3rdParty

    > If its Option B, I believe we have to maintain the session as it
    > arrives from the client and be able to deliver back to the client
    > when 3rd party provider responds.
    > Is it possible to maintain the long standing session in IIS while the
    > request is re-directed? How to do it?

    Option B means you send a new request to the 3rd party site in order to
    produce the response for the client:

    Client --GET--> YourSite
    void Page_Load() { // or any other method
    YourSite --GET--> 3rdParty
    YourSite <--200-- 3rdParty
    }
    Client <--200-- YourSite