Redirecting System.in , System.out to JTextArea

ash

Hello,

I need to know how to redirect System.in and System.out to a
JTextArea. The following is my initial attempt to write it's code. I
know it's missing alot (maybe major) stuff.

--begin--
import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.awt.event.*;

class ConsolePanel extends JPanel implements KeyListener{

private JTextArea consoleTextArea;
private ByteArrayInputStream inStream;
private ByteArrayOutputStream outStream;
//private byte[] bufferByteArray;

public ConsolePanel()
{
super();

outStream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();

Runnable r = new Runnable() {
public void run() {
try {
while(outStream.size()!= 0)
{
consoleTextArea.setText(outStream.toString());
}
} catch (Exception ie) {
ie.printStackTrace();
};
new Thread(r).start();

consoleTextArea = new JTextArea();
setLayout(new GridLayout(1,1));

this.setBorder(BorderFactory.createLineBorder(Color.gray));
add(consoleTextArea);

}

public ByteArrayOutputStream getOutputStream()
{
return outStream;
}

public ByteArrayInputStream getInputStream()
{

return inStream;
}

public void keyTyped(KeyEvent e) {}

public void keyReleased(KeyEvent e) {}

public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) {
String line = "";

int key = e.getKeyCode();
if (key != KeyEvent.VK_ENTER) {
line += ""+ e.getKeyChar();
}
else
{
try
{
inStream = new ByteArrayInputStream(line.getBytes());
//inStream.read(line.getBytes());
}catch(Exception exc)
{
exc.printStackTrace();

--end---

What i am trying to do is to connect an InputStream and and an
OutputStream to the textArea. After that is done , ill get the in/out
stream from another class by the methods "getOutputStream()" and
"getInputStream()" and do System.setIn() and System.setOut from the
class that got a hold of the stream objects by the previously
mentioned methods.

What am i doing wrong ? (I know im doing alot wrong , but im kinda new
to I/O).

Thanx in advance for ur help

Ahmed Ashmawy

Janusch

[...]

Hi,

you have to use java.lang.System.

static void setErr(PrintStream err)
Reassigns the "standard" error output stream.
static void setIn(InputStream in)
Reassigns the "standard" input stream.

For Example:

/*init in public ConsolePanel()*/
System.setIn(new MyInPrintStream());
System.setErr(new MyErrPrintStream());

/*impementation*/
class MyInPrintStream implements PrintStream{

Color col;

MyInPrintStream(){col=Color.BLACK;}

/*Implement PrintStream and send all input to consoleTextArea*/

}

class MyErrPrintStream extends MyInPrintStream implements PrintStream{
MyInPrintStream(){col=Color.RED;}
}

Janusch