redirecting to a simpler page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Graham, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    Hi
    I wish to redirect visitors to my site that are using IE5.0 or IE5.2 Mac

    I have found out a few things about conditional comments and redirecting
    using php. The code below will redirect visitors using IE5.0 (I think!)

    <!-- [if IE 5.0]>
    <?php header("Location: http://www.xxx.com/"); ?>
    <! [endif] -->

    The expression returns false for IE5.5 because I have stated IE5.0 and not
    just IE5. This is good because I don't want to redirect IE5.5 as this
    browser has no problem rendering the page containing the redirect code
    above. But how do I catch visitors using IE5.2 Mac? Also, where is the best
    place to put the code above, I had thought of putting it above the doctype
    declaration, but I think I remember reading somewhere that if you have
    anything other than white space before the dtd then it immediately puts the
    browser into quirk mode - is that correct? Where would you put it and is
    this a proper technique for redirecting? (please don't suggest that I fix
    the page so it loads in any browser, I've spent many hours on this and I
    just can't figure out how to make the page load OK in these two browsers,
    the page in question is http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    BTW - I have had one person tell me all is well in IE5 win98, but I know
    the problem occurs in IE5 win2000, is that possible, does the version of
    windows OS matter?

    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Jul 20, 2003

  2. David Graham

    rf Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message

    > Hi

    Hi.

    > I wish to redirect visitors to my site that are using IE5.0 or IE5.2 Mac

    Why? duplication of code and not so reliable browser sniffing...

    <snipage>

    It would be good if you advised us how the site actually breaks with IE5.0.
    I could fire up one of my partitions that has IE5 but, it's simpler to ask
    you :)

    > the page in question is http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    Ah, this page again.

    You asked me to not tell you this but I must. This is a really simple page.
    There is no reason you should not be able to make it work in IE5 or any
    other browser for that matter.

    Ah, I see. I just looked at your source. Terribly complex for what it does.
    So much unnecessary javascript to do what CSS can do anyway. No wonder you
    are confusing IE5.

    Apply a bit of the KISS principle.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 20, 2003

  3. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Hi

    > Hi.
    >
    > > I wish to redirect visitors to my site that are using IE5.0 or IE5.2

    Mac

    > Why? duplication of code and not so reliable browser sniffing...
    >
    > <snipage>
    >
    > It would be good if you advised us how the site actually breaks with

    IE5.0.
    > I could fire up one of my partitions that has IE5 but, it's simpler to ask
    > you :)
    >
    > > the page in question is http://www.catalysys.co.uk/sefriendly/

    > Ah, this page again.
    >
    > You asked me to not tell you this but I must. This is a really simple

    page.
    > There is no reason you should not be able to make it work in IE5 or any
    > other browser for that matter.
    >
    > Ah, I see. I just looked at your source. Terribly complex for what it

    does.
    > So much unnecessary javascript to do what CSS can do anyway. No wonder you
    > are confusing IE5.
    >
    > Apply a bit of the KISS principle.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Hi Richard
    The javascript stuff was generated by Fireworks. I did this for the
    navigation down the left side of the page. This was done at the very
    beginnings of my web designing ventures. I knew nothing about web design and
    trusted progs like Fireworks to do a good job. I had no idea that it would
    bulk out my code or confuse browsers.
    The problem is the content (on this page consists of a flash banner type of
    thing and an image map) contained within a div called 'content' which is
    itself housed in a div called 'contentcontainer' ends up pressed against the
    left side of the screen. It only happens in the two browsers above. From
    what you say it would seem that if I chopped out all the code for the
    navigation div that runs down the left side of the screen and replaced using
    css, that would give browsers a less confusing time. I will try this, but
    I'm not too sure if its going to help. Afterall, the javascript in the
    navigation div doesn't directly affect the layout of other div's does it?
    The contentcontainer div is simply positioned, relatively with a 200px left
    so it lies next to the absolutely positioned navigation div rather than
    under it, this makes it easy to center horizontally things contained within
    the contentcontainer such as the content div which contains the imagemap and
    the flash movie. That all sounds pretty straight forward to me and I am
    confused why IE5 does not respect my relative positioning of the
    contentcontainer div, any ideas. What happens in IE5 if the navigation div
    is commented out altogether - I would appreciate it if you could let me know
    what happens (my free trial of browsercam has run out and I'm running IE6)

    many thanks for any further help

    David

    David Graham, Jul 20, 2003
  4. In article <qauSa.1193$>, "David
    Graham" <> wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > Apply a bit of the KISS principle.

    >That all sounds pretty straight forward to me and I am
    > confused why IE5 does not respect my relative positioning of the
    > contentcontainer div, any ideas.

    I believe I gave you a good link to visit over in CIWAS. For IE5 Mac,
    {position: relative;} is buggy.
    I wholeheartedly agree with rf that your stylesheet is incredibly complex
    for such a simple page.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 20, 2003
  5. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Leonard Blaisdell" <> wrote in message
    > In article <qauSa.1193$>, "David
    > Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > > Apply a bit of the KISS principle.

    > >That all sounds pretty straight forward to me and I am
    > > confused why IE5 does not respect my relative positioning of the
    > > contentcontainer div, any ideas.

    > I believe I gave you a good link to visit over in CIWAS. For IE5 Mac,
    > {position: relative;} is buggy.
    > I wholeheartedly agree with rf that your stylesheet is incredibly complex
    > for such a simple page.
    >
    > leo
    >
    > --
    > <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Yes, your right. I will give the stylesheet a good pruning, I know its full
    of commented out bits which I did as I kept altering things. I will simplify
    and see if that helps.
    Thanks for the link, it was interesting, but the relative position bug isn't
    quite what I experience in IE5 mac, for me, the relative positioning is
    totally ignored - consequently, my content ends up pressed against the left
    side of the screen. I think it may well be due to the over complicated
    nature of my stylesheet and all the commented out bits. I will report back
    if I have any success.
    One last question, I would love to have IE5 on my PC in addition to IE6.
    Could I achieve this by partitioning my hard drive using FDISK command.
    Never tried this before. Would I need to load windows onto both partitions
    and if so, which partition would boot up when I turn the computer on?
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Jul 20, 2003