Redirection problem with dyndns.org, IIS 6.0 and ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mwfolz, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. mwfolz

    mwfolz Guest

    Hello!

    For testing reasons, I am hosting an ASP.NET 2.0 based website on my
    local MS Windows Server 2003. Let's say, the application name would be
    "foo", so I am publishing the site with VS2005 to my local address:

    http://servername/foo

    Locally, everything works fine (of couse ;-). The application is
    defined in IIS6.0, the SQL Server is up and running and so on.

    For testing that web in better context, I set up a dyndns.org acount
    for that server. Again, that would be:

    http://foo.dyndns.org

    When I do access my site via the address http://foo.dyndns.org/foo,
    still everything works out fine. But for some cross-site issues and for
    field tests I wanted to use a "real" domain name. So I set up a
    redirection from http://foo.com to http://foo.dyndns.org/foo by means
    of my ISP.

    When I now do access the site using http://foo.com, it is perfectly
    redirected to http://foo.dyndns.org and I do see the requested page.
    But - and this is the problem - all URIs generated by the ASP.NET
    engine have the application name inserted after the hostname. In other
    words, ASP.NET resolves the link ~/secure/login.aspx to
    http://foo.com/foo/secure/login.aspx instead of
    http://foo.com/secure/login.aspx.

    Strangely enough, this does not seem to be true for all kind of links
    generated by ASP.NET. Some are resolved ok, some are broken. In detail:

    - Links stated with <asp:HyperLink> are resolved ok (without "/foo"
    inserted)
    - URLs in <asp:Image> are resolved ok
    - Sitemap controls are *not* ok ("/foo" inserted in link address,
    ~/default.aspx becomes http://foo.com/foo/default.aspx instead of
    http://foo.com/default.aspx)
    - Method ResolveClientUrl() is *not* ok
    - Redirections from web.config are *not* ok (redirect to
    http://foo.com/foo/...)

    Actually, I really don't understand what I'm getting wrong. Especially
    the inconsitant behaviour of the different ASP.NET controls really
    leaves me irritated. Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    Michael W. Folz.

    (Crossposted to microsoft.public.interserver.iis)

    mwfolz, Jan 22, 2007