Redistributing MSVCR70.dll

Martin Holmes

Hi there,

I have a question about whether I'm legally allowed to redistribute
MSVCR70.dll. The situation is this:

I'm writing an open-source application in Delphi, released under Mozilla
Public Licence 1.1.

There's a Delphi hook called JSBridge that would allow me to use the
Mozilla JavaScript engine (SpiderMonkey).

JSBridge requires MSVCR70.dll.

I don't own any Microsoft development tools myself.

Microsoft tell MSVC programmers to redistribute it as a matter of course:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922>

and you can find it available for download all over the Web:

<http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr70>

but I'm trying to figure out if it's OK for me to package it with my
app, when I don't own any MS development tools.

Does anyone know the rules which govern redistribution of MSVCR70.dll?

All help appreciated,
Martin

David Hearn

Martin said:
[...]

MSVCR70.dll is from Visual Studio.Net 2002 (.Net 1.0). Do you know if
JSBridge works with MSVCR80.dll as well? If it does, then you could
download Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa975050.aspx) and see if it's
included in there. If it is, then you've got your free MS development
environment which provided you with the DLL.

I would suspect that as long as you're targetting Win32 (rather than a
competitor) and you obtained the DLL legally (certainly getting it with
an Express Edition should be legal), then I can't see why MS should
complain.