Refactoring tool... PLEASE

Sachin Garg

Hi,

I was trying to find (like many others here) a tool for refactoring
C++ code as I have lately been noticing that I spend most of my coding
time doing refactoring
and some refactoring which I skip, due to the enormous effort it
seems to require, usually comes back to me with larger costs.

I read a few comp.lang.c++ threads over past few years regarding
refactoring tools for C++ but none had an answer.

I heard about Borland's Together for C++... has anyone here tried it?
Is it good? I downloaded the trial version (www.borland.com) but cant
get even the evaluation license, they said they will contact me for it
by mail within 2 days.. its been a week now.

Any other tool anyone knows of...

Sachin Garg
http://sachingarg.go.to

Phlip

Sachin said:
I was trying to find (like many others here) a tool for refactoring
C++ code as I have lately been noticing that I spend most of my coding
time doing refactoring
and some refactoring which I skip, due to the enormous effort it
seems to require, usually comes back to me with larger costs.

The incidence of "enormous effort" when refactoring is proportional to the
infrequency of small refactors.

Many small refactors, as a program grows, reduce the odds of a big refactor.

C++ is too rough to support a refactoring browser. Issues such as the
preprocessor, Koenig lookup, overloaded typecast operators, partial template
specialization, and all the other happy crap that fills this newsgroup would
make the simplest refactors impossible. A refactoring browser must promise
that you don't need to run the tests after a refactor, and if a C++
refactorer could never promise that, then nobody would ever use it.

Get typing. Start with all the simplest Extract Method Refactors you can.
Refactor low hanging fruit. Don't refactor in order from hard to easy.
Refactor from easy to easy.

Thierry Miceli

Hi Sachin,

Actually I released a refactoring tool for C++ 2 days ago. Currently it is
available for the Visual Studio .NET 2003 IDE.
There is an evaluation version if you want to try it out. The url is:
www.ideat-solutions.com/refpp

Regards,

Thierry