    the books covered or explained any of this.

    Thanks,
    -hazz

    Hazzard, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Hi Hazzard,

    "reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in the
    same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
    may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For more
    information, please check:
    WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
    Enhancements
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwssecur/html/wssecauthwse.asp

    Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You may
    check it for your reference.

    Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)
    l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebconfig.asp

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 9, 2003

  3. Hazzard

    Hazzard Guest

    Thank you so much Lewis for your prompt and useful reply.
    I had been trying to change some code in the reference.vb file to effect a
    database call in an asynchronous web service. And it always broke the
    previously working app.
    I don't really have a computer science degree, I just imagined myself one on
    T.V.

    Appreciatively,
    -Greg

    "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Hazzard,
    >
    > "reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in

    the
    > same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
    > may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For more
    > information, please check:
    > WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
    > Enhancements
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwssecur/html/wssecauthwse.asp
    >
    > Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You

    may
    > check it for your reference.
    >
    > Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)

    > l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebconfig.asp
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Lewis

    rights.

    Hazzard, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Hi Hazzard,

    I'm very glad that the information helped resolve the problem.

    Thanks very much for participating the community. ^_^

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "Hazzard" <>
    | Subject: Re: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
    | Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:49:54 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    |
    | Thank you so much Lewis for your prompt and useful reply.
    | I had been trying to change some code in the reference.vb file to effect a
    | database call in an asynchronous web service. And it always broke the
    | previously working app.
    | I don't really have a computer science degree, I just imagined myself one
    on
    | T.V.
    |
    | Appreciatively,
    | -Greg
    |
    | "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Hazzard,
    | >
    | > "reference.vb" is a proxy class and it is created from service1.wsdl in
    | the
    | > same directory. VS.NET will generate it when we add a web reference. You
    | > may modify it if you want create a Client That Uses WS-Security. For
    more
    | > information, please check:
    | > WS-Security Authentication and Digital Signatures with Web Services
    | > Enhancements
    | > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwssecur/html/wssecauthwse.asp
    | >
    | > Here is link about how to set up the Web.config configuration file. You
    | may
    | > check it for your reference.
    | >
    | > Application Root Directory Configuration File (Web.config)

    | > l/cpconapplicationrootdirectoryconfigurationfilewebconfig.asp
    | >
    | > Hope this helps.
    | >
    | > Best regards,
    | > Lewis
    | rights.
    | >
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Hazzard" <>
    | > | Subject: reference.vb...and the web.config file?
    | > | Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:16:04 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    | > |
    | > | What is the reference.vb file. How is it created? Can it or is there a
    | > | reason for it to be modified?
    | > |
    | > | And the web. config file? For tracing, I have to alter the web.config
    | file
    | > | but there isn't one in my project. I understand it inherits a
    web.config
    | > | file but from where?
    | > |
    | > | I just looked at 3 books on web services, as created by VS.NET and
    none
    | of
    | > | the books covered or explained any of this.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > | -hazz
    | > |