Referenced class lib output is checked into source safe.

Peter Strøiman

Hi.

I have a situation where I have a web project and a class library in the
same solution. The web project uses the class library. Therefore, I created
a "project reference" in the web project to the call library. This creates a
subfolder for my web application called "bin" where the output of my class
library is placed.

The problem is that this bin directory is placed in source safe when I check
in the project to source control. And that gives a event greater problem,
because after getting the solution from source control, the files are
read-only, thus I cannot compile the project.

Is there any way that I can prevent the bin directory of going into source
safe?

Thanks in advance
Pete

Clint Hill

For an ASP.NET project in VS.NET you want to exclude the bin folder from
the project. IIS still has the folder, but the solution doesn't manage
it. Rather the build process assures its there and populates your dll's
too it. SourceSafe will pickup any file shown in the Solution Explorer
(generally).

Right click the bin folder and Exclude From Project. This doesn't remove
it from SourceSafe though, you'll have to hard delete it from there.

Clint Hill
H3O Software
http://www.h3osoftware.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Peter,

I think Clint's suggestion is reasonable and I'd always prevent including
the bin folder into our VSS database when add source control for ASP.NET
webproject. For detail info on how to configure this in VSS, I suggest you
try posting in the vstudio.sourcesafe or other VSS related newsgroup. In
addition, in the ASP.NET/VS.NET 2.0, the improved web project structure may
help us avoid such problems.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:19:52 -0700
| From: Clint Hill <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Referenced class lib output is checked into source safe.
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| For an ASP.NET project in VS.NET you want to exclude the bin folder from
| the project. IIS still has the folder, but the solution doesn't manage
| it. Rather the build process assures its there and populates your dll's
| too it. SourceSafe will pickup any file shown in the Solution Explorer
| (generally).
|
| Right click the bin folder and Exclude From Project. This doesn't remove
| it from SourceSafe though, you'll have to hard delete it from there.
|
| Clint Hill
| H3O Software
| http://www.h3osoftware.com
|
| Peter Strøiman wrote:
| > Hi.
| >
| > I have a situation where I have a web project and a class library in
the
| > same solution. The web project uses the class library. Therefore, I
created
| > a "project reference" in the web project to the call library. This
creates a
| > subfolder for my web application called "bin" where the output of my
class
| > library is placed.
| >
| > The problem is that this bin directory is placed in source safe when I
check
| > in the project to source control. And that gives a event greater
problem,
| > because after getting the solution from source control, the files are
| > read-only, thus I cannot compile the project.
| >
| > Is there any way that I can prevent the bin directory of going into
source
| > safe?
| >
| > Thanks in advance
| > Pete

Peter Strøiman

Thank you both for your replies.

The thing is, there is no exclude from project context menu item.
I managed to find a different answer from the visual studio 2005 bug
reports. It is a known bug in the beta 2 release of VS (buil 50125). It
should be fix in subsequent releases.

Pete

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup and sharing the further information.

So currently, we'd better ensure that private "bin" dir doesn't exist when
creating VSS database for our project that'll avoid many unexpected
problems.
Thanks again for your posting.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Peter Strøiman" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Referenced class lib output is checked into source safe.
| Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:27:52 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thank you both for your replies.
|
| The thing is, there is no exclude from project context menu item.
| I managed to find a different answer from the visual studio 2005 bug
| reports. It is a known bug in the beta 2 release of VS (buil 50125). It
| should be fix in subsequent releases.
|
| Pete
|
| | > Hi Peter,
| >
| > I think Clint's suggestion is reasonable and I'd always prevent
including
| > the bin folder into our VSS database when add source control for ASP.NET
| > webproject. For detail info on how to configure this in VSS, I suggest
you
| > try posting in the vstudio.sourcesafe or other VSS related newsgroup.
In
| > addition, in the ASP.NET/VS.NET 2.0, the improved web project structure
| > may
| > help us avoid such problems.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:19:52 -0700
| > | From: Clint Hill <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Referenced class lib output is checked into source safe.
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | For an ASP.NET project in VS.NET you want to exclude the bin folder
from
| > | the project. IIS still has the folder, but the solution doesn't manage
| > | it. Rather the build process assures its there and populates your
dll's
| > | too it. SourceSafe will pickup any file shown in the Solution Explorer
| > | (generally).
| > |
| > | Right click the bin folder and Exclude From Project. This doesn't
remove
| > | it from SourceSafe though, you'll have to hard delete it from there.
| > |
| > | Clint Hill
| > | H3O Software
| > | http://www.h3osoftware.com