references in web services project in VS 2005 vs. VS 2003

Luther Miller

A member of my team recently completed a web services project. The solution
contains some other porjects referenced by the web services project. In the
web services project, the references are only listed as DLLs in a BIN folder.
When we added this to source control and then retrieved it somewhere else to
do a release, we had to maunally add the DLL that was being referenced to
source control.

In previous versions of Visual Studio, I recall these projects having a
References folder where we could reference the other Projects in the
solution. This is how we ADDED the reference to this web service, but the end
result is the DLL in the BIN folder instead of a project reference in a
References folder.

My end goal is to be able to retrieve the solution from source control,
build it, and deploy it, without having to check DLLs into source control.
Any insights into the subtitles that I missed in how 2005 works now?
Thanks!

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi lex,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding on the ASP.NET2.0/VS 2005 's project reference problem, it is
due to the new projectless model for ASP.NET 2.0 application in VS 2005,
there is nothing you've missed. In the new projectless model, there is no
project file for ASP.NET 2.0 application and all the private referenced
assemlies are just put in the "bin" dir, there is not explicit reference
list on them. And for strong-named reference assemblies, they'll be
declared in the web.config's

<compilation><assemblies> .....</ > </> section....

So if you need to make sure your web application get the referenced
assemblies correctly, from source control, we need to keep the private
"bin" dir's content unchanged.

BTW, the ASP.NET dev team does provide a new project model which use the VS
2003 like project style, that still use procompiled main assemblies and
project file. It is still under beta preview, you can find it under the
following location:

#Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects (RC1)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wap/

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,